• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strangest PC speaker death throes I've seen yet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

My mom's rig has a pair of Harmon-Kardon speakers from two desktops ago, so I think it's time to replace them (I'm in the process of making a list of what I need from the comp store so I can get it all done at once). Earlier today I was playing around with my MP3 player and noticed something strange.

When connected directly to the PC, each speaker cuts out randomly (I'll get sound first from the left, then the right, and on occasion both at once) and it sounds like the bass is blown.

When connected to my MP3 player, I can make the speakers alternate by picking the player up and setting it down again. If I'm holding it off the desk, both speakers sound fine. If it's laying on the desk, the speakers cut in and out and again it sounds like the bass is gone. If I move the player on the desk, I'll also get static through the speakers.

The culprit can't be the player as I've only had this problem with these speakers...

you can get new connectors at radio shack and solder them on. cut off the first two inches or so where the wire wont be worn and go from there - allso put some heatshrink on the wire and slide it up a bit - then solder - then bring that heatshrink down and torch it to act like a bit of a strain relief. shouldnt happen again.
i did the same thing with my speakers. but forgot the heatshrink till After i allready soldered...oh well...

My "Rat Shack" doesn't really sell parts anymore, and my soldering iron's in NM with the rest of my tools. Oh well, I'll just get a $20 set of speakers now and try to fix the old ones when I have time.

Back