• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The NEW SOYO SY-P4S DRAGON Ultra Mobo is coming to a P4 near you!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
funnyperson1 said:

ummm dude, whistler=Windows XP, whistler is already out, and it didnt help the P4 that much, it still gets crushed in most tests, also make sure that theDragon supports the Northwoods, because then when you upgrade your CPU youll have more options...

Yea, I thought Whistler was WinXP too, but I wasn't 100% on that and didn't wanna look like an @SS....

From a post in the memory section..............................

Quoted from a post from BLitzKrieG0187

First off, lets look at the specs. in comparison: So far, there are three types of DDR-SD RAM for your comp, one that was specifically used in utilizing the AMD 200MHz FSB. The newer types, PC2100 and PC2700 utilize AMD's newer FSB speeds. The newest PC2700 DDR-SDRAM has a delivery bandwidth of 2,666Mbs........ roughly 2.7Gbs, hence the name PC2700. Anyway, this RAM delivers at 333Mhz, it is also called DDR-333 RAM. So let's break it down, 333Mhz/~2.7Gbs per sec. This is the most advanced DDR-SDRAM is on the market right now for your comp. Now, let's have a look at what RD-RAM, or RAMBUS, has to offer in terms of power and so forth. RAMBUS has three new common forms, PC600, PC700, and PC800. Looking at the newest RD-RAM, PC800, it utilizes P4's 400MHz FSB speed, and has a delivery bandwidth of 3.2Gbs per sec. RD-RAM utilizes a dual-channel delivery system,which, in turn, delivers the RAMBUS at a finalized set speed of 800Mhz, hence the name PC800 RD-RAM. Broken down, this is expressed as 800MHz/3.2Gbs per sec. Even if DDR-SD RAM was running at 400MHz, that would still be only half the speed, or only utilizing one channel, that RD-RAM can offer as well as support. In terms of bandwidth on the RAM, RD-RAM still has over a 1/2 Gigabyte lead in delivery per second. Now, I am not saying that DDR-RAM isn't good enough, or is inferrior. I am just saying that I definitely don't think that DDR-RAM is all that it is coughed up to be for actual "system memory".

SDRAM is a dead end. If you can afford a P4, you can afford RAMBUS.

If you insist on using DDR-SDRAM, get an AMD.

On a benchtest conducted by PCWorld to test SDRAM,DDR and RDRAM and it went like this: The RDRAM system outran the old SDRAM only by small margins but the DDR system outpaced both systems on most of the test, including a multi-media task an area where the RDRAM was expected to be victorious,not. The DDR system completed the AutoCAD 2000 test in 7 min. and 18 secs. while the RDRAM sytem finished in 9 min. and 1 sec.
Like you stated pros. like the p4 and RDRAM combo because Intel and Rambus designed the techno to complement eachother. And like you said the RDRAM has dual-channels and has an FSB that supports transfers up to 3.2 GB as the P4 while DDR can support 2.1 GB at most. So now you might be asking yourself how the DDR system beat the RDRAM system? Well acorrding to Senior analyst Kevin Krewell of M.D.R, the RDRAM's large bandwidth may not offer much benefit with standard business apps. yet it comes in handy for processing multimedia which used large chunks of data, but it is not fully utilized in business apps., which use short burst of data. In handling those short busts of data, RDRAM suffers from its biggest drawback, longer latency, which is the amount of time between when a CPU asks for data from memory and when it actually arrives. Now don't get me wrong I like RDRAM too, my current system is running 1 Gig of RDRAM so money is no barrier for me. It is performance that counts. :burn:

Last edited:
Like I said I like both types of memory for different applications and maybe the latancy problem will be fixed in the not-so-far future. For now thou, the best is DDR as far as ability and reliability. Yet in the end they all work at acceptable rates, if anything the thing to do is get more memory to make life better.:beer:

Back