• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Truepower 480w enough for x1900xt!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

I was just wondering if I need to buy a new power supply too...I REALLY hope I don't have to yet, because cash is tight, but I was just curious if you guys thought I did.

Here are the spec's

http://www.antec.com/specs/true480_spe.html

I have 3 sata hdd's installed, 2 dvd rom, a floppy, and will be running either a 3200+ or a x2 3800+ (both oc'ed around 2.4-2.8ghz hopefully). I will also have xp4400 (i think) mushkin ram, at around 2.8-2.9v.

If you think I do need a new psu, then which would you recommend?! (something GOOD, but cheap like Sparkle or something please :) )

your psu has 28amps on the 12v rail, your card will take 10 amps at the very least, It will be close because an overclocked 3800 at 2.6 will take close to 110 watts alone and the card will take 125. amperage is more of a concern, although i have no idea how many amps the x3800 will take I would imagine it would be close to 20 between the 2 when both overclocked.

I ran a 3700 SD at 2.8 with a x1900xt overclocked on a 400 watt fortron with two 15amp 12v rails and it seemed ok I still had my bro get a better psu though.

those 2 psu you linked are grreat but I ahve heard bad things about tigerdirect, if you need a vendor outside cali to avoid taxes go to monarch...

The Antec is a good unit but the thing that concerns me in this situation is the amperage. I know those 1900xts are power hungry so a more power unit may be in order, especially with the other parts you mentioned there. Between the two OCZ units go with the GameXtreme 700w, its a newer unit and performs better than the Powerstream 600w. You may also want to check out the OCZ Powerstream 520w, it has a strong single +12v rail. I think around 32amps or so.

Back