• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" Fittings... which type are best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

virtualrain

Registered
Hi,

I'm going with 1/2" fittings on my rig but 7/16" tubing.

In general, are push on fittings better (I'm sure that's not an option in my case with odd size tubing), barbs (like on the swifttech blocks), or something else?

What about clamps. I would rather be safe than sorry even though the 7/16" over 1/2" is tight... What clamps are easiest to work with, attractive, and do a good job?

Finally, what about elbows? Do they really restrict flow? I may need a couple due to the way I'm mounting my rads.

I need the following:
- 1/2" ID fittings for the DDC Ultra pump with G1/4 taps
- 1/2" ID fittings for my Black Ice GT rads with G1/4 taps... I might need an elbow or two here instead of straight fittings depending on my mounting situation.
- Some kind of T to mount a thermal probe in the water line... ideally a G1/4 tapped T so I can use the same fittings on it as well as a thermal probe with G1/4 male threads.
- I'm also using the Innovatek flow meter which has G1/4 male threads so I need a F G1/4 to 1/2" ID fitting

I'll be using Swifttech water blocks so black PVC type barbs like what they use might be the best for consistency.

Any thoughts from the experienced peeps in the crowd would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks!

Specific questions here...

When using 7/16 tubing over 1/2" fittings, what kinds of fittings work best... I'm assuming High flow (A) is easier to get tubing over than Perfect seal (B)

A: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=70&cat=34&page=1

B: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=210&cat=34&page=1

Am I right?

Also, I want to use this flow meter in my loop... (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-tub-45.html) It has male G1/4 threads... I can't find a fitting that will go G1/4 female to 1/2" anywhere? Ideas?

The PS are great fittings. U don't get the leaks like hi-flo when u twist your tubing round & round. Getting the 1/2" Clearflex in requires a little effort though. So to get the 7/16 into the PS is gonna be a b*tch. Soaking the tubings into hot water helps. But if you are gonna be using 7/16"s, I suggest you go with the hi-flo ones.

DSpot said:
The PS are great fittings. U don't get the leaks like hi-flo when u twist your tubing round & round. Getting the 1/2" Clearflex in requires a little effort though. So to get the 7/16 into the PS is gonna be a b*tch. Soaking the tubings into hot water helps. But if you are gonna be using 7/16"s, I suggest you go with the hi-flo ones.

I installed some 7/16" MasterKleer over 1/2" Perfect Seal barbs this past weekend. I soaked the tube ends in boiling water for 30 secs. and while it was a bit difficult, it wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
I installed some 7/16" MasterKleer over 1/2" Perfect Seal barbs this past weekend. I soaked the tube ends in boiling water for 30 secs. and while it was a bit difficult, it wasn't too bad.

Shouldn't need any clamps on those connections LOL.

Thanks guys. I'm going with the 1/2" high flow fittings.

One other questions, the GT Stealth Rads have G1/4 (I assume BSPP) threads. I want a couple of elbows that will mate with this but all the distributors in NA seem to only carry NPT fittings. Any idea where I can get G1/4 BSPP elbows?

Back