• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Search Engine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

Ok, i am getting kind of sick of Google showing me hits that are not all that useful, either for schoolwork or for fun. Anyone know of a VERY powerful search engine or a combination of engines that they use. I know that the advice given here will be credible. Thanks in advance.

Problem with you is probably the fact you dont know to pick out Keywords from the subject you are searching for.

If your loooking for power google "Google commands" that will give you pretty much every thing you want :).

If this is for school, wikipedia is good but those peer reviewed sources from the library databases are the best. You can't get that stuff online unless you pay for it. For instance, you can use Thompson Financial at the library, at least the one on the corner of SJSU(which is public) that will give you the last 100 years of a companies fiscial numbers. You can't get that on yahoo, morningstar, etrade, etc.

Honestly Google. There are others such as Dogpile.com but once you learn how to properly use google you can find almost anything you want and fast. Oh and I also vote for wikipedia, great little site.

UnseenMenace said:
I like dmoz.. the open directory, edited by humans rather than using trawling bots

http://dmoz.org/
That is a very handy site at times.

I agree with most of the others about Google, it is really sweet when you know what to type, which is sometimes easier said than done.

UnseenMenace said:
I like dmoz.. the open directory, edited by humans rather than using trawling bots

http://dmoz.org/

Dmoz is not a search engine... and they are fairly **** about who gets in. If you have ever read their forum you will understand where Im coming from. I refuse to go there anymore because all they have to say are smug remarks about submit, wait, and wait some more... Never question athority..

:eek:

Google. It's just the best I've ever used. With the judicious use of (any combination of) - (not), OR, and quotes for full-string search, almost everything I've searched, I found what I was looking for. It really does come down to what keywords you use, and yeah, sometimes the keywords you needed to use are opaque.

WeezleXX89 said:
I Love Altivista and Mozilla Firefox

Er, Firefox isn't a search engine, and I think you mean Altavista. Yes, Altavista is pretty good, but thinking about it, I like Dogpile better. It checks results in more than one search engine, so it's like using five search engines at the same time with one click.

Back