• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG! I now own the greatest Vaio S series in the world!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

You have no idea how stoked I am. SO SO SO much so I almost had to go change my pants ;)

Ok so here's the big deal. A week or two ago I made a thread because I bought a 9.5mm DVD-RW to install in my beautiful and beloved Sony Vaio type S360p. It was manufactured by Mit****a for IBM thinkpads and IBM is backwards....thus they decided to take a normal connector and turn it inside out. IDIOTS! So this super expensive 9.5mm drive (fastest current one) was utterly useless for me. ARRRgh. Not only would getting the proper drive be expensive...it's almost impossible to even find one for sale ANYWHERE! and even if you do it will run you close to $300

So my options where very limited. Go back to the old CD burner or buy and expensive, over-priced 9.5mm drive. Unless.....no, that couldn't possibly work, otherwise Sony would have done it themselves. You know very well what I did now, don't you? No? Fine, I'll tell you in simple words so you understand.

12.5mm≠9.5mm correct? WRONG!!! In Emmanuel's mind equations work like this.

12.5mm+(Lots of modding x time)=9.5mm

enough of this crap. here are the pictures.

ok, so that's that. questions, comments. POST THEM!!!!!!!!!! mwahahahah.

(yes we've never seen Emmanuel so much out of his mind, but then have we ever seen anyone ever do this mod before?)

oh? no no no. I bought myself a 12.5mm slot loading Pioneer DVR-K06!!! Oh yea! and I stuck that sucker where it doesn't belong, in a 9.5mm high slot. After much modding of course. It at least 5 hours over the course of many days to figure out what needed shaving (the plastic in the laptop that is)

12.5 in a 9.5? wow? you do everything. I just discovered that it's not perfect. There must be some pressure somewhere because after 10 minutes of playing a DVD it starts grinding. This only happens if it has a paper label on it, so obviously I'm very close to perfection...

TerraPhantm said:
I was under the impression that most slot-loading drives have problems with the paper labels.

yeah, i'm with that. I think you've hit perfection ;)

You might have a problem doing that, as the laptop chassis seems to be longer than the drive. But if you think you can swing it, go for it! Nothing like taking a mod to its (il)logical conclusion :thup:

Back