• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 or another hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my system operated best when I had 1 hard drive for o/s and programs, and a 2nd hard drive for storage including torrents d/l. Now that i've put both hard drives into a raid 0, while d/ling its still not as smooth as when I had it on its own drive. this is my experience, you decide on how you want to go.

wyemarn said:
Ive a lot of files in my HDD and dont plan to backup.

TimoneX said:
1) I always seperate windows & programs. Just habit for me now. I allocate 12GBs(12288) for windows and 80GBs for Programs. My boot partition fragments far slower this way and I install Programs to the same folders across multiple OSs. For instance dual booting XP & XP32 and using nero in both should require 2x the HD real estate, but if you install to the same folder on the same partition with the same options then it does not.

3) There's no substitute for backups IMO.

I should clarify that if you aren't doing a backup regulary then I would seperate the Win and you programs as Timone stated. I run a automated backup once a week, so I am not that concerned about failure or corruption.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I already have a rough idea of what Im going to do and I only need some clarification for my question no 3.

I will not be setting up RAID for the two drives but will be enabling AHCI to enable SATA2 and NCQ. Im using the default legacy SATA mode now because didn't know about AHCI when I installed my OS last time. I just want to know whether enabling AHCI will destroy all the data on my current drivers. Im not going to set up raid or do anything to them. Just enabling AHCI and installing special drivers when installing Windows.

Back