• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Express slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

Hi, I tried to search on my mobo's manual but I can't find any answers. I'm currently using P5LD2 Deluxe mobo and it comes with 2 PCI-Express x16 slots. I only have one graphics card(7600GS) and currently placing it at the slot nearest to CPU. Can I move my 7600GS to the 2nd slot and leave the slot nearest to the CPU empty? Any effect on performance? Im thinking of this because I want to try switching expansion card position so that I can cool down the 7600GS better. I have another 2 PCI cards(TV card and Audigy2ZS).

Thats a good question, but I think you need to have it in the top slot, usually, and I may be mistaken, but putting it or another video card in the 2nd slot maked it change to 8x lanes and I dont know what if any effect it would have on your card. Why not give it a try and let us know how it works. Cant hurt, worst case you just put it back in the top slot.

Do you mean moving to the 2nd slot will change to 8 lanes and reduce the performance?

wyemarn said:
Do you mean moving to the 2nd slot will change to 8 lanes and reduce the performance?
hmm im reading newegg comments and i think if u put it in 2nd slot will run at 8x, not totally sure cause no one really said it.

i remember whan i had my 6800gs and i stuck it in2nd slot (pci-e) and installed drivers it told me it was pci-e x8 instead of 16

Mines in the second slot (didnt have enough space) It runs fine, although that could explain why im only getting 10k in 3dmark05..

bobthemoo said:
Mines in the second slot (didnt have enough space) It runs fine, although that could explain why im only getting 10k in 3dmark05..

So you mean you get performance decrease after moving to 2nd slot?

wyemarn said:
So you mean you get performance decrease after moving to 2nd slot?

honestly, i have no idea.

Im getting an old computer soon, which ill m0ove my tv card to so i can out my gfx card in the first slot. If there is a big increase/decrease I'll pm you ok?

I dont think a 7600GS would even come remotely close to saturating a pci-e 8x lane, although it could be possible that it takes some hit by way of the way it interacts with the chipset. Hell, even the AGP cards never used all the bandwidth they had and pci-e 8x is more than agp had.

Back