• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I trade xp4400 for 2GBZX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

Should I trade xp4400(4x512mb) for 2GBZX(2x1gb)

Well I have a set of xp4400 (2x512mb, 2.5-3-3-8 @275) and my dad said that he'd trade me a set of F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX (2x1gb, 2-3-2-5 @ 200, max around 250 3-3-3-8).

Should I make the trade or no?! I play BF2, HL2, etc....would the slower, but larger memory help me at all!?

Last edited:
If you are playing games like BF2 you should see a big difference with 2GB of ram. Unless you absolutely need the memory at 275mhz then I dont see why not to do the trade.

id say take the 2gb makes a difference in bf2 n alot of others games, everything runs so much smoother with 2gb of ram

Now you guys are really making this hard :( I'm up to 310fsb, 2.5-3-3-8 w/ this ram now.....

I guess I could trade for a little bit and see how far I can oc it....and see if I get better scores in 3dmark/games.....

iLLestOne said:
I guess I could trade for a little bit and see how far I can oc it....and see if I get better scores in 3dmark/games.....

I'm in no intension to say this for flaming or anything else like that, but unless you cant get that 2GB kit to run near to what TCCD is running (in terms of frequency/timings = performance) you wont see any improvement on 3DMark scores but they might actually get a little lower than with TCCD.

Where you see the performance increase (a big one) on games that are known to use more than 1GB for textures, but for games that doesnt require more than 1GB, your performance will actually decrease, not increase. :)

When I had 1GB I experienced many times when I was paging off of the HD. I NEVER noticed this with 2GB.

So what if you loose a few points on 3DMark. Does that really mean that much?

I wouldn't trade up if you're looking for it to increase any speed or anything, but DO trade if you have been RAM limited with 1GB.

Alright, what about if I could get another set of 2x512mb that do 300 2.5-3-3-8 in the trade?

So it would be 2x1gb 230 2-3-3-8 (1T) or 4x512mb 300 2.5-3-3-8 (2T)

Which would would you go with now? :)

I have a feeling that 4x512 cannot run as fast as 2x512, but no first hand experience. Also, I'd say go for the 2GB because with your A64, memory performance doesn't make a big difference... plus you can turn off your Windows page file (if you use Windows..)... and BF2 will run much better, while your less RAM intensive games you probably won't notice any performance loss other than 1 fps or something.

iLLestOne said:
Alright, what about if I could get another set of 2x512mb that do 300 2.5-3-3-8 in the trade?

So it would be 2x1gb 230 2-3-3-8 (1T) or 4x512mb 300 2.5-3-3-8 (2T)

Which would would you go with now? :)

If all 4 of those sticks will in fact do 300, then that's certainly the best way to go. With a 70Mhz (140Mhz DDR) difference, those slower timings won't make a difference over the much higher bandwidth.

Back