• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I building a system for my bro, and he wants it to be really good, though not necessarily the absolute best out right now (cause that usually isn't cost effective).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a good Mobo/cpu combo. This computer will essentially be built as a gaming rig. I haven't been able to keep up on the new computer stuff coming out like I used to, but I know most of you have! I know that I want AMD, but that's all I'm certain of right now. And I'm trying to decide between socket 939 and AM2. From the little that I've been reading, I'm thinking of going with AM2 since I am starting from scratch. But, if 939 is really much more cost effective, then I will go with it.

I know there are other threads like this, and yes I am reading them, and will continue reading them. I just need to make my own thread so I can ask my own questions and get good personal advice.

I'll go back to searching and reading more threads, in the mean time lemme know!

Thanks,

YB

I would go with am2. am2 is more future proof, and the prices for the cpus are within a few dollars of a 939 cpu. Theres really no point in going with 939 if your starting from scratch. With am2 you will be able to use ddr2, while not giving much of a performance gain at this moment, you will be able to use it in the future when you upgrade :) (doesnt have to be near future)

Whats your budget? FX-62 is 840$ at the egg, but im assuming thats out of your budget. 5000+ AM2 is only 315 at tank guys http://www.tankguys.biz/athlon64-5000-socket-p-1659.html which i think is an amazing deal. Id go with that, throw in a nice mobo for about 125$, some nice ddr2 at 225$, 665$? Is that a budget? Assuming you have a PSU and some graphics.. i think thats a good deal for a mobo/cpu/ram. Espicialy for one of the best amd procs out right now

If you buy new and don't go AM2 as the previous member said, you will start :drool:ing over the DDR2 stuff. I just ordered an AM2 setup just so I could play with DDR2. Do go for sticks above DDR2-667, 800 is where the fun starts. Anything below is not much of a difference than DDR1-400 to 500

Ok, I will go with AM2. Considering the possibility of using two gfx cards at some point. 840 for a cpu is over the budget, but 315 is no prob. 5000+ sounds great, but how are they OCing? Not planning to OC right off the bat, but still want the cpu and all the other components capable of that. Meaning, when I build this system, I want it to be great as it is. But each component needs to be capable of being OC'd in the future. I mean, the PSU is a >$200 PC Power and Cooling, and the case is totally sweet with excellent air flow and lots of fans.

Also, who's making the good boards lately? I know DFI has been pretty sweet since they came out, but hows all the other champs doing (Asus, Abit, Epox, etc.?)

Thanks for the replies guys!

-YB

I was under the impression the new AM2 boards sucked, or was it the conroe supported boards that sucked? I don't know, I'm still stuck in 939 land and completely content with my mushkin redlines :D

From what I've seen OCs have been doing well even with the light stock of enthusiests boards out so far. People are poo-ing off the DDR2 but I'm finding that even with my budget ECS, Sempron, ValRam that performance has as nice little bump. I think the 5000 and the X2s are going to open up with 800-1066 DDR2.

hitb... I know your pain with the Mobo. I lost 2 mobos in June just restarting one and the other one locked up and never posted again. I'm seeing people wipe the Bios on some boards. I've never seen it happen to an Asus but have on a Gigabyte. So far I have'nt seen it on the AM2s. Try to buy boards with socketed Bios so at least you can just order the chip if you wipe one. Also it it has a Write Protect, activate it before OCing this physicly locks the chip. WP has no effect on CMOS memory so you can still loose settings but the board will boot.

AlabamaCajun said:
hitb... I know your pain with the Mobo. I lost 2 mobos in June just restarting one and the other one locked up and never posted again. I'm seeing people wipe the Bios on some boards. I've never seen it happen to an Asus but have on a Gigabyte. So far I have'nt seen it on the AM2s. Try to buy boards with socketed Bios so at least you can just order the chip if you wipe one. Also it it has a Write Protect, activate it before OCing this physicly locks the chip. WP has no effect on CMOS memory so you can still loose settings but the board will boot.

Actually.. Its my fault. Im pretty sure i staticly shocked it to death, lol. Reason is while i was in the middle of installing my WC loop, i ended up puking my brains out for 2 days and ended up going to the hospital only to find i had apendacitius(sp?) and getting my apendex out, which was a few hours away from bursting (good thign i went :eek: ) And then, of course the parentals moved it around the house plenty of times while i was in the hospital and left it on a carpet. Im guessing somewhere in the week or so it was laying there, it got shocked to death. I spent 3 hours putting my computer back together only to find the mobo wouldnt post, and only to have to take it all apart again. Im HOPING it was the mobo, and not the CPU that got shocked to death (as that was laying around as well.. and it ended up havign a row of bent pins, but they got bent back to normal.) The mobo wouldnt post with the cpu out of the socket either.. I had no way to test the cpu as i have no friends or no other 939 boards. Anyways...

/threadjacking

:beer:

Back