• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot at 1mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

I was just wondering... Has anyone, if its possible, tried booting there pc up at 1 mhz? Or some other redicilously low speed? Would it hurt the cpu or other hardware? Just a thought.. Would be funny to see a super pi 32m or 1m in it, lol.

fireandice said:
i seen 19mhz cpuz screens lol

lol i feel old. i remember wanting a 20mhz 286 because my 12mhz 286 was sluggish playing wing commander II.

you could try using a program like mo'slo to start up at a very low speed. i'm not certain but will dos work at 1mhz or does it require 4.77 (how could it know)?

I had a nice IBM XT at 8Mhz. That's with Turbo on! That thing was a beast way back when :)

15Mhz Mac in my closet right now. Everything too, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I wonder what it's worth? How about a Commodore Plus/4? 1.7Mhz MOS Technology 7501. I also have one of those mint in box.

I think the OP was asking about heavy underclocking rather then old pc's guys.
I have seen some underclocking done here on A64 but dont remember the results.

im pretty certain that most current Operating Systems would not boot on 1mhz as such the best you could actually hope for would be a post screen.

Not that it would be desirable

Yeah i was talking about more modern cpus :) lol

Yeah.. i just remembered most boards can only get down to a certain multi/fsb/htt . Wasnt thinking all the way at 2am :)

IIRC the minimum frequency of A64's is 800MHZ, can't tell for sure tough.

Back