• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LITE-ON LightScribe DVD Burner $30.99 free shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
So you don't know what Lightscribe is? I didn't know either :beer:

http://www.lightscribe.com/

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write - OEM

Just bought one to try it out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16827106019

I also bought some lightscribe media, Since Tyan Yuden doesn't make it yet, this will suffice until they do
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817292008

27-106-019-02.JPG

I grabbed a samsung lightscribe burner off newegg a week ago for the same price. Looks like a cool feature, but I think the dvds are expensive.

"Works great as advertised, burns at 16X, flip it over and burn a large lightscribe image at best quality, all within 30 minutes.... "

30 minutes? :( Ill wait until the technology developes, and the discs come down in price. For $3 i can buy 3 cd markers thatll last a long time, and write as fast as i can.

I've had a benq lightscribe (1625 I think) for over 1.5 years (also lightscribe in newer sager notebook) and the speed has not improved at all . In fact, I've about given up on the whole thing. Takes too long for me. The disks are still expensive also. The whole thing seems dead in the water. Markers are my staple till I bite the bullet and buy one of them printers that does disks.

:cool:
Just Some Dude said:
I've had a benq lightscribe (1625 I think) for over 1.5 years (also lightscribe in newer sager notebook) and the speed has not improved at all . In fact, I've about given up on the whole thing. Takes too long for me. The disks are still expensive also. The whole thing seems dead in the water. Markers are my staple till I bite the bullet and buy one of them printers that does disks.

For me it was a good buy, I don't burn that many DVD's and even if the Lightscribe takes 24 hours, that's ok with me. I'm sick of using Sharpies on my burned DVD's. I've got one of those DVD label kits but they are a PITA.

Until something better comes along, this is for me . PS the Media is not as expensive as some are complaining about, Tyan Yuden is about the same price. (Hopefully this media I bought is half as good as Tyan Yuden and I wont complain to much) :beer:

PS, I needed a 2nd black DVD/CD drive as my beige secondary dvd drive looks ridiculous on my black case, since this is $33 shipped and has a cool feature I made the right choice. Not to mention this Newegg price is the best price you will find on this Lightscribe burner ;)

yeah, I built a couple machines for people with BenQ lightscribe drives. The discs look pretty awesome when they are done. It does take a little while, but I think it's worth it. I wish I could get my new lappy with one.

Yeah you can go sharpie on it, which is what I do for mine since I don't have a LS drive myself. But if I did I'd say 30 min for a disc is just fine. That way you've got a nice looking, easy to read, easy for other people to read disc.

This seems pretty sweet to have. For the price, you cant go wrong. You get a CD/DVD RW + LS for 32$. Even if you dont use the LS, its still a good deal.

Silversinksam said:
PS the Media is not as expensive as some are complaining about, Tyan Yuden is about the same price. (Hopefully this media I bought is half as good as Tyan Yuden and I wont complain to much) :beer:

Well, from the couple of websites I checked out it seemed to me that lightscribe media is 2x to 3x the price of TY media (I went to Rima and SuperMediaStore). Plus, it is bound to be inferior because it's not TY ;) (And I think you mean Taiyo Yuden)

For a light amount of burning I can see where lightscribe would be attractive and usable. But I buy blank DVDs by the hundred (3 or 4 hundred at a pop) and it would be way too slow and costly for me. I'll stick with a Sharpie for now.

doublejack said:
Well, from the couple of websites I checked out it seemed to me that lightscribe media is 2x to 3x the price of TY media (I went to Rima and SuperMediaStore). Plus, it is bound to be inferior because it's not TY ;) (And I think you mean Taiyo Yuden)

For a light amount of burning I can see where lightscribe would be attractive and usable. But I buy blank DVDs by the hundred (3 or 4 hundred at a pop) and it would be way too slow and costly for me. I'll stick with a Sharpie for now.

I linked to Lightscribe media I bought in the first post

Ascii2 said:
Where can you buy 3 cd markers for $3?
Got a local place called "pc warehouse". Bought a little box of 3pcs CD/DVD marker double sided, one side fine other extra fine. Water resistant markers. One blue, one black, one red. Nothing special, but they get the job done.

basso4735 said:
thing is, for the price, its pretty much the same as non lightscribe dvd burner.
If you're looking for a new drive its definately a nice deal. If you already have one, buying media for lightscribe isnt a bargain. I was considering upgrading my burner, i was going to jump right on this deal until i looked into purchasing media.

I bit on 5 of them its a solid deal and will probably put them in some builds I am doing for people

Bal`thzar said:
I bit on 5 of them its a solid deal and will probably put them in some builds I am doing for people

I've already got a tip for you, when burning the label or whatever design via the Lightscribe function, this LiteOn drive has indexing, so if it's not dark enough, you can lightscribe it twice.:santa:

Oxalic32 said:
i was going to jump right on this deal until i looked into purchasing media.

The price will come down, not long ago Dual Layer media was $5 to $10 for one disc, now its less than a dollar a disk. I paid .59 cents a Lightscribe disk, trust me, thats lower in price than Tyan Yuden. I didn't pay shipping, but with shipping 15 Lightscribe disks are .93 cents each, roughly the same price as Tyan Yuden. Like I said, even if they are half as good as Tyan Yudan I will be pleased. (When Tyan Yuden makes Lightscribe media, I will probably buy that)

PS, Even if you don't use the Lightscribe feature, you can use whatever DVD media you want. The DVD player is cheap enough ;)

Back