• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else tired of paying the "Newegg Tax"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Has anyone noticed that Newegg has jacked up their shipping and handling charges lately? I mean in some instances the shipping is $6, 7, 8+ or more, even on small items! It sometimes adds 10%, 25% or more to the price, and there is no option to downgrade from the 3-day service to ground. I find myself using Newegg's site to find products and information, then buying the product on ZipZoomFly because they have it for the same price but with 3-day shipping included.

For example, I just wanted a simple USB HDD enclosure, only to find that it costs $6+ to ship a light, plastic box that only costs $20 itself. Even a dinky stick of RAM costs $5 or more to ship!

It especially burns me when some little item gets shipped with exensive 3-day shipping, and gets shipped from the New Jersey site (I live near Philly). I still pay for the expensive shipping, when plain gronud would have probably gotten it here in a day or 2.

/rant :mad:

-Rav

consider yourself lucky. We have high sales tax AND odering from places like NCIX.com comes with at least a $15 shippign charge. I ordered Windows XP home OEM the other day for a coworker. 15$ shipping was the cheapest i could get.

Go to UPS.com or FedEX.com and checkout what it costs to ship a 1lb package, it generally is around $4-$5 to have UPS ship a package. Then add in a handling/packing materials charge and your right around $6. I consider it just the price you pay for ordering online vs brick and mortar. It would be nice if they added USPS which is a little cheaper in many cases.

The only time the shipping cost annoys me is when your ordering items like fans, where they cost $5 each, and how for each one you ordered they added on the full shipping cost again, even though they would all ship in the same box. I think they stopped doing this, havent had to order anything little in a while.

Cheator said:
consider yourself lucky. We have high sales tax AND odering from places like NCIX.com comes with at least a $15 shippign charge. I ordered Windows XP home OEM the other day for a coworker. 15$ shipping was the cheapest i could get.

Yea, I wanted to order a Arctic Freezer Pro 64, it was on sale for 28$ but the cheapest shipping was the express shipping for 15$. Usually when I buy from NCIX, it's a big order or I group buy with some friends.

IrishAssassin said:
Yea, I wanted to order a Arctic Freezer Pro 64, it was on sale for 28$ but the cheapest shipping was the express shipping for 15$. Usually when I buy from NCIX, it's a big order or I group buy with some friends.

Exactly. We canadians are boned :).

While I still like Newegg and do a lot of my research on buying parts there, I also shop around like you, Rav. And if I need smaller items like fans and such, I usually buy them from sidewinder or svc because Newegg is so ridiculous on their shipping on multiple items such as fans and cables and such. I guess they won't USPS though because there is no way to track progress on packages, just whether it's been received or not. And I've been seeing some very competitive prices from other quality online vendors lately too. I also am kind of ****ed at the way Newegg has been charging an extreme premium on stuff that is in short supply and IMO, makes them look extremely predatory. Just look at the prices that the egg is charging for the P5W DH mobo, then compare it to what eWiz or TankGuys is charging. Of course nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing us to pay these high ripoff prices, but it makes me look elsewhere to spend my money. On this Conroe system I'm putting together right now, I bought the mobo from eBay for a better price shipped than the egg had w/o shipping for the P5W DH and I have my e6600 preordered from TankGuys.

SunRedRX7 said:
Go to UPS.com or FedEX.com and checkout what it costs to ship a 1lb package, it generally is around $4-$5 to have UPS ship a package. Then add in a handling/packing materials charge and your right around $6. I consider it just the price you pay for ordering online vs brick and mortar. It would be nice if they added USPS which is a little cheaper in many cases.

The only time the shipping cost annoys me is when your ordering items like fans, where they cost $5 each, and how for each one you ordered they added on the full shipping cost again, even though they would all ship in the same box. I think they stopped doing this, havent had to order anything little in a while.

Yes, this is something most people forget - as most of us have been "spoiled" by the vendors that have great deals with the shipping companies and can offer very low prices. We get people who complain about our shipping prices, but the truth is, they are *exact* rates direct from FedEx, with insurance and signature service, I don't make a dime on them :(

That's good to know though TankGuys. I agree that Newegg has increased their shipping costs, and although it's understandable that maybe the carriers have increased their prices, it's a bit ridiculous. Artic silver paste cost $5, then $5 to ship it. If I'm not mistaken it only costs about .50 for a padded envelope and $2 to ship an item that light and small with tracking. They have many light items that are like this and I find myself buying smaller items like this from different places and my larger orders from newegg.

What happened to newegg offering free 3 day express saver on almost all of their items?

On another note, their customer service is great. I had one bad experience but I believe it was because of a new representitive and not indicative of the rest of Newegg.

You would think a big company like Newegg could get a better deal on shipping than the average person at a UPS store. I mean, ZZF has no problem giving free shipping on almost everything and staying competative with Newegg's base price.

What reall gets my goat is when you have a product, say a CPU, with free shipping at Newegg. There is a combo deal for some $10 product free, but if you take the combo, it cancels the free shipping, then adds shipping for both items, and it ends up being like $12-$15!

-Rav

before it was people complaining about them not combining shipping, and they reprogrammed their system to do that, so i guess now it's just general whining. their shipping costs are right on, if you're really that frustrated then just shop somewhere else. they're #1 for a reason.

Honestly, the shipping is not that bad when you combine items. USPS priority starts at what, $4.35ish, and 4.99 shipping is not that far off.

I am about to purchase three of things from Newegg, and the shipping is right around 11 bucks.

-Wireless keyboard and mouse
-2.0 Speakers
-DVD-Rom drive

Super Nade said:
I only hope they would stop offering UPS as their cheapest option.

Yeah, I have had some beat up looking boxes arrive from UPS (parts were ok, though). Fedex rules!

PWatterson said:
Yeah, I have had some beat up looking boxes arrive from UPS (parts were ok, though). Fedex rules!

They must vary by location, Fedex around me is bad. They don't deliver to my parents apt, I have to pick it up from their sorting location. They do deliver to my town, just my apts are a 6 story high rise and the manager said it was to dangerous for the driver to deliver. That was his exact excuse talking to him in person, but I'm guessing the real excuse is it slows down drivers to take an elevator to deliver a package? UPS is decent around here, it depends on the driver but they ship to my apt. The bad thing about newegg for me was I didnt want to order from them during the summer when I was at my parents apt because I would have to drive to pickup my order from Fedex. I guess UPS could be a good thing for me, they just need to use USPS for small items.

Their shipping is bad for small items but you still save a lot in the end for larger items. I buy smaller items like fans and coolers from other sites.

I loved it when Fed Ex deleivered my stuff.. No issues with them at all.. Then when New egg switched their posting services to UPS as their cheapest I got screwed out of a sound card and had to wait a week before a replacement was sent.. lets just say that making demandings such as.. "DECAPITATE THE DRIVERS HEAD THAT DID THIS AND PUT IT ON A PIKE FOR ALL THE FUTURE GENERATIONS TO NEVER COMMIT HIS SINS." does work sometimes.

If something is 5$ or 10$ less on Tigerdirect or Outpost I would still buy it from newegg. I have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from the them in the last few years and NEVER have I had a problem that wasn't resolved. I also have had things price matched by them because I would rather buy it from them. Best packaging, customer service, and delivery times. I always recieve things next day when I order even with ground shipping.

Im stuck having to pay SALES tax to. Im from NJ :bang head Even if its not getting shipped from there NJ warehouse, i have to pay it.

I just ordered a complete system, cost me about 25$ to ship. Thats with a case, cpu, gpu, mobo, ram, hard drive, and dvd burner. Shipping from 3 of there locations, but i thought it was a pretty good deal.

Not sure if this will ever happen, but if Newegg ever started offering USPS Priority and 1st Class, no one would ever have a reason to complain. I know USPS Priority is 2-4 day but I always get mine by the third day, same with 1st Class. For light items, nothing can top USPS 1st Class, it's so cheap!

Newegg's shipping rates I can handle, it's the tax that kills me on the more expensive items, forcing me to shop elsewhere. Those of you who don't live in the taxed states should count your blessings, makes the shipping rates look puny.

Back