• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My reason for choosing AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And AM2 4X4 isn't a temperary move untill AM3 and K8L by AMD to try to keep up? They won't be making that monster arch upgradable unless they are still behind, there would be no reason for it.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=633569&starttime=0&endtime=0
HKEPC said:
For the upcoming Socket AM3 interface, it has 939-pins and is designed to consistent with Socket AM2. With 939 pins only, Socket AM3 processors are compatible to 940-pin Socket AM2 mainboard. The only limitation is just DDR2 and Hyper-Transport 1.0 support only.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3169
DailyTech said:
In a mildly surprising move, AMD has revealed that AM2 will accept AM2 or AM3 CPU packages.
The most recent AMD roadmap is also very clear to state AM3 "supports either DDR2 SDRAM or DDR3 SDRAM, but not on the same motherboard." This is great news for upgraders, as there is a very clear upgrade path: CPU, motherboard, and then memory. This also infers that AM3 CPUs will have both DDR2 and DDR3 support on the integrated memory controller.
:bang head

EDIT: *speculation warning*I believe we will all be surprised to see exactly what 4x4 will offer, especially in the form of this upgrade path...meaning...certain technologies for AM3 will work, except DDR3 of course*speculation warning*

Last edited:
why:

Molester said:

?

i had never read that they would be pin compatible before, that is really helpful info you just shared, and i thank you. :)

my posts were never meant to simply dismiss AMD or write them off (nor was i trying to dismiss YOU or write YOU off ;)), was just asking for some info to read.

MadMan007 said:
There's something off about the upgrade path argument. I can't quite put my finger on it now but I'll think about it today some more.

because all of the claims he makes are based on "rumours" and not fact but he is stating it as if it is a fact that AM3 will work with Am2 and all that :)

If it is really true that Intel has finally designed a chip, that can play games without lag spikes, load problems, with stuff running in the background without causing any kind of game impediment,

not sure what wolrd your living in, but i have never had any of these problem you state with any Intel chip, especially once HT came along, i cant say the same for AMD single core chips... this going back to northwoods which is what, 3 years?

Last edited:
Back