• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing RAM slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

Currently I have 2 sticks of DDR2 on the first and 3rd slot. Can I move the 2 sticks to 2nd and 4th slot? Will the be any problems and performance hit? The reason I want to do this is because I want to lower down Ninja's 120mm fan. The RAM stick at the first slot is blocking it. Thanks.

Usually this is not an issue. Sometimes however boards like having two dims in certain slots and performce better in them. Run a memory benchmark twice before you swtich then twice after and see if they are close in speed.

CGR said:
Usually this is not an issue. Sometimes however boards like having two dims in certain slots and performce better in them. Run a memory benchmark twice before you swtich then twice after and see if they are close in speed.

Thanks. Will try that.

Does your motherboard support dual channel? If so, you have to use the first two slots for dual channel mode, thats how it is for me at least.

Mu board, Abit VT7 requires that you use either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual channel. you can, of course, fill all 4 slots but the dual channel comes from 1/3 and 2/4 so you need to match the ram in those pairs of slots.

Back