Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car Audio: Weird buzzing noise...

Alright well the problem happened a couple days ago when I foolishly kind of blew my amp by turning up the power a little bit., It smells awful. But anyway I replaced the amp with a new one, but the volume doesn't nearly seem as loud as it used to be, and now my rear spearkers aren't playing as loud and there is this constant buzzing sound even when the volume is turned all the way down... Any ideas people? I really doubt my subs are blown since they are rated to handle much more watts than I pushed through them, and since they wouldn't both go at the same time. The buzzing sound is really annoying me.

The hissing sound is really mostly hearable when the sound is on Zero but when I start turning it up, it will start to disapate. And my subs are barely hearable now... They are 12" P3 by rockford fosgate 1000w peak.
    Last edited by DaMobster; 08-07-06 at 11:01 PM.
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    32 Gig Mushkin 1866 9-9-9
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    XPSC RX360 Custom watercooling loop
    Corsair 900D
    Boot: OCZ Agility 4 512gb
    Storage: 3x2tb WD Black in RAID 5

you can kill subs with less power then they are rated for

clipping amps and dying amps hurt subs badly

im not smart enough to help, but it sounds like you hurt some stuff, or got a shatty new amp
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig

Make sure all your grounds are clean. I had the same problem until I re did my amp ground

ground loop isolator will help alot with the buzzing, i have one that im not using anymore ill give it to you for a few bucks plus shipping
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Thank you for all the help, but I really think my subs are fine (hopefully but I will test it out with different subs tomorrow. Either way about the buzzing, I think it might be an ground issue that I will look into since it's basically with my rear speakers and nothing really to do with my subs. The ground to that amp is not the best and is actually connected to the ground wire of the amp to my subs. Could that be causing a problem?
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

yes, thats what a ground loop isolator will help it removes the alternator noise due to the difference between different grounds on the head unit and the amp IIRC
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Well the ground isolators didn't work.... I don't know what it could be since I never had this problem before the sub amp blew. The buzzing is so loud that I can't have the music on anymore while playing. Any other ideas?
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

Re-wire the whole system.
    Desktop:Opty170 @ 2.7GHz/x1950 Pro Notebook:Lenovo T61 14.1" - NVS140m [1440x900]
    Home Theatre:Sharp Aquos D64 - Yamaha 6.1 - PS3 80GB [Folding for Team 32]

"I have come here to avenge my teacher." - Bruce Lee
    "Blessing of your heart, you brew good Ale." - W. Shakespeare
    "I'd take vinyl over CD anyday, It's just not the same." - JamesXP
    "How are you typing with all that stuff on your hands?" - Sleepy_Steve
    "Don't tell me, you only know how to play fighting games?" - Ryu [Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo]
    ()()>PLAY B3YOND<()()

Try a new spot for a ground.
    Intel i5 4570 - Asus Z87C - G Skill 2x4gb
    Corsair 750w Modular - Antec 300 - ATI HD7850OC

Retired 3dmark Captain
    Heatware 110-0-0

Check your RCAs, what kind of amp is it? I got a buzzing noize from one of my kicker kx 1600.1 powering a 12" RE XXX, I called RE and they said it was my RCA. Bought a new one, no buzzing. If its not as loud, check your voltage and amprage, use a thicker gauge remote, or just split your 12V+ to the remote(only if your running your power through your ignition). Is your car running when your testing it? Youll get a good 12-24DB gain while the alternator is running; Sometimes, replacing your fuses(yes, all of them) will greatly help.

Hope this helps!

I am pretty positive it's not the RCA's since they didn't do it before, and they are the top of the line from Monster Cable. Also I think I minimized the background noise by replacing the existent ground wire to both my speaker amps. It's still a little bit there, but could that be because I have the ground wires screwed so close together in the same area?
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

That could defenatly be it. You should have your grounds at least 5-10ft away per amp. I have 8 amps, but only 2 grounds. But the ground is also 1/0 wire.

Or not, the ground shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with the buzzing noise, thats whats wrong with your power and subwoofer noise level, but not the bussing noise. Its gotta be an amp problem. Double check ALL connections in the back of your head unit and on your amps. Usually when your getting buzzing, somthing is not plugged in all the way.

What kind of system are you running here? SQ? SPL? SQL? If you want to do it right for maximum sound quality and level, you should use no less than 8G wire for your speakers, make sure theres no tangles in your wires, use at least 2AWG for your power and twice the size your 12V+ for ground. Ive got an old picture of my system, ill PM you a link to it.

Well the grounds are definitely not that far apart... Where do you suggest putting the grounds since my amps are on a wall right behind my backseat (3 amps all together). Also I would love to see the set up that you have. Sounds like it's a really nice one.
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

whatever you make the ground with, sand it with a little sand paper to get anything off of the bare metal and rough it up a little, that helps.

I'm pretty sure the only noise that I'm hearing now is from the alternator so would that be ground or power that is causing it?
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

What do you mean?

alternator noise is caused by the difference between grounds. if your ground is fine, upgrade the "big 3"

Looks like there is a few problems here

Quote Originally Posted by DaMobster
    The ground to that amp is not the best and is actually connected to the ground wire of the amp to my subs. Could that be causing a problem?
    YES, this can be causign A problem, not THE problem. Ground the amp the the chassis and the speakers to +/-.

Quote Originally Posted by Krome
    Re-wire the whole system.
    This is always an option. Amplifiers are vary simple to install and should only take about an hour if the RCA's are already installed and work properly

I'm pretty sure the only noise that I'm hearing now is from the alternator so would that be ground or power that is causing it?
    The power, no matter what, it is always grounded to the chassis.
    Is it a whine that gets louder as the RPM of the engines goes up, because that is when the current the Alternator goes up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nvidiaOCmaster
    That could defenatly be it. You should have your grounds at least 5-10ft away per amp. I have 8 amps, but only 2 grounds. But the ground is also 1/0 wire.
    Incorrect, the grounds should be as close to the amps as possible, unless they are going to a ground distobution block, then the GROUNDS SHOULD STILL BE AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE!

Now for my questions:

1) What gauge wire are you using?
    2)How many watts is your amplifier?
    3)Is the power wire for the Amp running on the same side as all of the speaker wire for your car?
    The reason I ask is that the Current can "leak" in to the speaker wires and give you interference, which in turn, your speakers will repeat in the form of a whine-hum-or buzz.
    (#3 is probably the most likely)

Suggestions:

1)Take your speakers in question to your local stereo shop. The should be able to bench them to make sure that the noise does not occur on their equipment, for a nominal fee of course.
    2)Try another pair of RCA's, just cause they are Monster Cable doesn't mean that they will work forever.
    Also, just cause the store you bought them from said that they are top of the line, doesn't mean that they are. Monster makes some very expensive cables.
    Last edited by killermiller; 08-10-06 at 05:42 AM.
    If I haven't been around recently, check me out @ XS.

Monster Cable Interlink&#174; 400 MkII are the RCA Cables that I'm using right now, and I just got them about a maybe 6 months ago. I really don't think they would all go at the same time... I'm using 8 gauge wire for the power and ground to my amps for the speakers. The 8 gauge power wire is connected to main 4 gauge power wire. I had my amps installed by Fry's and they have a lifetime guarentee on it, so I think I am going to have them take a look at it.
    Intel 3770K @4500
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair Plat 860i
    2xAsus GTX680 4gb
    Asus Zonar Essence STX
    Corsair 900D

Monster Cable Interlink® 400 MkII are the RCA Cables that I'm using right now, and I just got them about a maybe 6 months ago. I really don't think they would all go at the same time...
    Yeah, but you also just blew up an amp :- p Breaking equipment can take other stuff with it on its way out.

I'd suggest test everything one at a time to see if you can see specifically what the sound is comming from, and that might lead you to finding some component thats not working quite right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast