• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra "Line Out" and "Mic In" on Front Case Panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech0

Registered
Hello,

I've got a replacement for my onboard AC'97 -- Creative SB Audigy SE. I know, it's cheap and low-end, but damn, it's waaay better than AC'97! And there was no point in getting something more serious as my sound system is at amateur level... But let's come back to the topic: I was wondering if it's possible to somehow "link" those extra "Line Out" and "Mic In" ports on the front case panel with my currend sound card? It would be much better as I'll soon start to hate crawling under the desk to disconnect my 2.1 and connect headphones with microphone.

Is there some way to make my life easier? :)

Thank you in advance!

:sn:

what kind of connections do the front panel ports have? on my case there just 1/8 inch cables and i run them out of an empty pci slot and plug them into my soundcard

If I'm correctly reading what you're asking for, there should basically be a set of wires going to a header on the motherboard for those front panel audio ports. It should be as simple as taking them out, and putting them to the same thing located on the sound card.

It should be as simple as taking them out, and putting them to the same thing located on the sound card.
Unfortunately, If you have an Audigy of an X-Fi that is NOT the case. They do not have the same 10 pin (5x2) plug on them that say a motherboard has. It has a long row of pins along the top of the card (see my post above). Some of the later cases have added extra wires coming from the plug to use in case the pin-out is not standard, like Soundblasters. You have to connect each wire seperately to the correct pin on the soundcard (again, see my post above). Another option is there are places, Ebay for example, that you can find a "patch" cable that has the correct plugs on each end.

Back