• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network troubleshooting help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

Ok, I finally broke down and got a router [WRT54G], but can't get my two computers to network between eachother. My desktop is on 2kpro, and the laptop is on xphome. I've run the network setup wizard on the laptop, but I haven't been able to find one in 2kpro. I also can't seem to get the setting right just fiddling with stuff, so I need some expert help :)
Printer and file sharing is turned on for XP [via the wizard], but I don't know if there is a global setting to turn it on for 2kpro.

Make sure they are in the same workgroup
Make sure they are on the same IP segment and subnet.
Make sure you have something shared to be able to see
Check your access right and cordinate your users.
Make sure both computers have cilent for microsoft netwroks installed and enabled. Including file and printer sharing for microsoft networks.

That should be about it .. though I am not sure how well XPHome does with networking, I have never used it myself .. and I know it's not really designed as a networking OS platform.

workgroup, IP and subnets are good. entire partitions are shared, will check on the network client in the morning. what do you mean by 'Check your access right and cordinate your users.' ?

Do you have any software or hardware firewalls installed? As long as your workgroups are the same and you ran the wizard on both machines and gave it a reboot you should be fine. Do you see any shared folders in "My Network Places"?

Bingo! I tried turning off Kerio personal firewall on both machines, and now I can search for the shared folders. The other machine doesn't show up in my network places though... i'll have to fiddle with that a little, and see if I can configure Kerio to work with the network. Thanks for the [obvious] answer :)

Back