• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked A64 3500 venice... Not that impressive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NorCalJason

Registered
Well... after a LOT of trouble, I finally got my new motherboard/processor combo up and running. Although, on games (WoW) it seems SLOWER than my old combo?

Old Combo:

Athalon XP OC'd to 2.2ghz.
1 gig mixed ram (old 256 + older 256 + new kinsgston DDR400)
ATI X1600 pro
7400rpm Hard Drive

New Combo

A64 Venice 3500 OC'd slightly (wouldn't take anymore) @ 2.3ghz
512 mem (kingston DDR400)
Ati X1600 pro
7400rpm Hard Drive

When loading windows, it loads a LOT faster, other than that.... NOt impressive? In fact, since I can't use the extra ram, it plays WoW WORSE (it constantly stutters during game play).

I've updated all the devices with new drivers. Did a clean install of windows XP SP2, and defragged my HD.

Am I missing something?

Oh... the old setup 3DMark05'd at 4200. New setup is at 4700.

Jason

well i think you know whats wrong you need more ram .
2.3ghz on a vennice 3500+ isnt that stock 2.2ghz? for sure even with no voltage jump we can get the oc up what settings and what hardware are you running

The ram is definately holding you back in WoW. World of Warcraft loves huge amounts of memory and the more the better. What motherboard are you using? Like Console said, you should be able to push more out of that system than 2.3Ghz. What sort of cooling are you using and what kind of temps are you getting?

Try to push it to at least 2.5, and definatly invest in a 2 gig kit for WoW. I dont personaly play it (not my type of game) But my friend trys with 512mb of ram, and its horribly stuttery and laggy. I brought over a 512 stick one day, popped it in, and it ran so much smoother. Amazing what another 512 can do...

Get atleast a gig, but id recomend 2 gigs

||Console|| said:
2.3ghz on a vennice 3500+ isnt that stock 2.2ghz? for sure even with no voltage jump we can get the oc up what settings and what hardware are you running

The motherboard is a ECS KV2 Lite.

I followed the instructions on the sticky here to find the limits of my memory, HTT, FSB, and processor.

My memory didn't like anything over 210mhz.
HTT maxed out at 210x5
FSB went to 240mhz
Processor didn't like anything above 235x10.
All at 1.55v

:confused:

Temps are still low. Under full load it gets to ~36c, and it Idle I've seen 28c.

NorCalJason said:
The motherboard is a ECS KV2 Lite.

I followed the instructions on the sticky here to find the limits of my memory, HTT, FSB, and processor.

My memory didn't like anything over 210mhz.
HTT maxed out at 210x5
FSB went to 240mhz
Processor didn't like anything above 235x10.
All at 1.55v

:confused:

Temps are still low. Under full load it gets to ~36c, and it Idle I've seen 28c.

well try it again to find the max htt again @like 7multy but @stock V not 1.5

Celada said:
Reduce the multi for the htt, use a diveder for the ram and you are god to go ;)

Been there...done that.

Reduced HTT to 600 (3x), Ran memory divider at 133htz, put multi to 5x.

That's how I got the FSB to 240. At 245, it refused to boot.

||Console|| said:
well try it again to find the max htt again @like 7multy but @stock V not 1.5

I'll give this a try to see what happens. Why at stock voltage?

NorCalJason said:
I'll give this a try to see what happens. Why at stock voltage?
because @ that voltage you will be putting out more heat than needed , since you are going to be running way below stock speeds @ a 7 multi you wont need the high voltage/heat to boot @ those low speeds . I just cant see a venice only overclocking 100mhz , Since your ram doesnt seem to oc and it has high timmings defently use dividers and you will oc much farther

**update**

Flashed new bios. Disabled the 'AMD cooling' feature in the BIOS.

Got it up to 270mhz x 8, once. Couldn't get it near that again (wierd?)

Right now it's running 240x11. or 2.64ghz.

:beer:

exactopposite said:
glad u got that figured out

Yeah me too. And btw... this thing freaking screams! The difference between 2200htz and 2640htz is amazing!

just curious, how many volts are you putting in to get 2640? I'm putting 1.55 through my 3500+ to get 2600 stable.

NorCalJason said:
Yeah me too. And btw... this thing freaking screams! The difference between 2200htz and 2640htz is amazing!
Yea there is a big jump =) I told ya we could get that overclock up higher with a lil bit of work =) Now the only thing you have to watch out for is ....
Overclocking is adictive =) have fun

IWasHungry said:
Nice work. But I still think you need >512MB of RAM there silly. <3

I completely agree. I'm trying to decide if I add 512k or try to stretch another gig or two... AND... what speed I need.

IWasHungry said:
Nice work. But I still think you need >512MB of RAM there silly. <3

***Update***

Added 1gb patriot kit of DDR400 ram. I now have a stability issue I"m trying to figure out, but on WoW this rig screams!

Jason

Back