• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any UNIX experts out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawken

In my search to add machines to the team effort, and being a UNIX illiterate, I wanted to add my HP9000 dual alpha. Any one know of a site, or themselves have a UNIX box crunching, and can give me some assistance in get mine up and running?

Well, can you download the app and untar it? once you get it into a folder you can cd into the folder "cd /setiathome" and then type "./setiathome" or whatever the app name is.

rugby said:
Well, can you download the app and untar it? once you get it into a folder you can cd into the folder "cd /setiathome" and then type "./setiathome" or whatever the app name is.

O.K. that is simple enough - but when you type ./setiathome, isn't that terminal basically locked, running the prog?

chawken said:

O.K. that is simple enough - but when you type ./setiathome, isn't that terminal basically locked, running the prog?

Not if you do

./setiathome &

That breaks it off so that you can still use tha term. :)

Can also start it up that way, in something like rc.local.

youmight also want to use the -nice parameter to setiathome to make it "nice" itself so it doesn't soak up cycles from other programs.

Thanks guys for the responses. Unfortuneately, I can't find the name of the CD-Rom so as to do a tar. System doesn't have a floppy, and HPUX has some weird names for their devices in the /dev directory. Once I can find out what the CD's name is then I will load the client on and get it going. Of course, if anyone else here knows the name of the CD-Rom on a HP-UX 10.2 OS, that would help.

Don't know too much about HPUX but my colleague here says that you can do an "ioscan -fn" and it should tell you the cdrom device name. Then you will need to mount it if it hasn't already been done.

Once you've untarred the Seti client and got it working in your user directory then copy the whole folder to a second directory called seticpu1 and rename the first accordingly. You should end up with something like ./seticpu0 and ./seticpu1. Don't forget to delete the wu in the second directory and collect a new one.

You should now have two working Seti directories - one for each cpu.

The next sensible but optional step is to kill both the Seti cpu processes and then read the Seti README file and pay special attention to the crontab entry. "If" you have access to cron you should add Seti to your crontab so that it will keep it running. Don't put it in a startup file as that is obnoxious and is likely to vex your system admin.

Email me - zouo if you get stuck.

Thanks zouo for the input. Will give it a go today. I don't have to worry about vexing the sys admin, he doesn't work here anymore and I am in the process of hiring another. I have never liked UNIX so I have never taken the time to learn it, so this will be a good exercise.

This is a golden command in Unix/Linux :

'find / -name tar' this will recursively search the entire system from '/' looking for 'tar'. You can substitute 'tar' with other expressions, like '\*file' ( you must escape the * with \ in opening the expression).

Regarding CDROM:

The easiest way to do anything is HP-UX is with SAM, whether in X Windows or terminal mode ( type 'sam' at command line). You can do almost everything listed here with it. Like list devices, etc.

HP-UX names the device file with the a weird syntax that is not immediately human readable, but it does make sense. Even then it does not tell you what type of the device the dev file is:

Here is a quick lowdown on a device files:

example 'c2t0d1' stands for

c2 = controller 2

t0 = scsi id 0

d1 = device number 1

"lssf c2t0d1" will provide even more info

this basically can tell you what the device file actually hooks up to now. how to tell what it is:

The easiest way, I can't think of another way, is to use "ioscan"

The following command will yield the device info on 'claimed' devices and usually a description that will tell you what it is:

'ioscan -fun' lists all devices
'ioscan -funC disk' will yield only disk device info; here's my output:

Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
======================================================================
disk 15 10/0.3.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST39236LC
/dev/dsk/c1t3d0 /dev/rdsk/c1t3d0
disk 16 10/0.4.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST318436LC
/dev/dsk/c1t4d0 /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0
disk 14 10/0.15.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST39175LC
/dev/dsk/c1t15d0 /dev/rdsk/c1t15d0
disk 6 10/8.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0
disk 8 10/8.0.1 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t0d1 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d1
disk 9 10/8.0.2 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t0d2 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d2
disk 10 10/8.0.3 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t0d3 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d3
disk 7 10/8.1.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t1d0 /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0
disk 11 10/8.1.1 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t1d1 /dev/rdsk/c2t1d1
disk 12 10/8.1.2 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t1d2 /dev/rdsk/c2t1d2
disk 13 10/8.1.3 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c2t1d3 /dev/rdsk/c2t1d3
disk 1 10/12/5.2.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-303
/dev/dsk/c3t2d0 /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0

The last line is what you want, I think. Remember this is demostrative only. Your system will undoubtebly be totally different. I can tell you CD-ROM devices should be in /dev/rdsk so worst case scenario you can try to mount them one by one.

Still having multiple problems.

I made a dir named /seti - and when I try to tar the setiathome file into it, nothing copies:

/seti tar xvf /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 setiathome
/seti tar xvf /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0 setiathome
/seti tar xvf /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 setiathome.tar
/seti tar xvf /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0 setiathome.tar

Where /seti is the directory that I am in when I type the string in blue.

2nd problem is that I can not ping anything on the outside of our network. I guess the gateway is not set up, and have no idea how to set that up.

TC said:
Are you sure tar is in your root environment variable path?
Maybe not. Thought we had a script running at night to do a backup to tape, but it is using cpio.

But I am logged on as root, and every other command seems to be working.

I'm not familiar with HP UX networking. If you can ping locally you're good to go up to at least layer 3 I believe, so it must be the software settings on that box. Can you try to telnet from that box to a remote location? That would check all your layers and point to a config setting, and from there I can get some help for you.

TC said:
I'm not familiar with HP UX networking. If you can ping locally you're good to go up to at least layer 3 I believe, so it must be the software settings on that box. Can you try to telnet from that box to a remote location? That would check all your layers and point to a config setting, and from there I can get some help for you.

No contact whatsoever outside the firewall. I have a maintenance contract on the beast, so next week I will log a response to the support center. I have read in the HP manuals about setting up the gateway but the manuals are a bit cryptic. I'll have their tech support walk me through it, and figure out the tar problem.

Thanks for the help though.

Back