• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI aleinware laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvidiaOCmaster

SLI laptop?!?!?! Im sure this is an alienware exclusive. Wouldnt that get rather hot? I for one, would not trust it in the least, espically for 4K!!!!!! that screen is huge too!!! my desktop screen is 19"!! it must be one massive lappy!

Linkeh

Discuss Laptop SLI

Waste of money imo. Sure it's useful for taking to a LAN, but i can build a better desktop and just suck it up and transport it. Obviously completly worthless as a "laptop" as it probably doesn't get more than an hour on battery. If you have the money, need a DTR, and want to take it to LAN's, then this might make sense for you...

when you buy alienware.. you pay for the name and the same hardware everyone else sells :)

Personally I think that the bashing of prices on alienware systems is a little unwarranted. They're nowhere near as bad as say, voodoo pc. If you go to the mainstream section and configure a decent PC you'll find the price reasonable. Along w/ the fact that Alienware lappys don't rly carry the same hardware as OEMs do. Just a few things like "DVD mode" (allowing the lappy to play a DVD movie without booting the OS), along with user controlled switching between integrated gfx and the discrete card to get the best of both worlds. In addition there's also the question of build quality. More noticeably, Alienware lappys have higher monitor quality than the average one. Along with brand name RAM and greater durability.

whatever though. Just my 2 cents.

eh, i don't see any need to bash them....they have outrageous prices...but so do most of the boutique places.

I'd never spend that kind of money on a laptop. Well, maybe after winning several mil. in the lottery.

Tserrof said:
Personally I think that the bashing of prices on alienware systems is a little unwarranted. They're nowhere near as bad as say, voodoo pc. If you go to the mainstream section and configure a decent PC you'll find the price reasonable. Along w/ the fact that Alienware lappys don't rly carry the same hardware as OEMs do. Just a few things like "DVD mode" (allowing the lappy to play a DVD movie without booting the OS), along with user controlled switching between integrated gfx and the discrete card to get the best of both worlds. In addition there's also the question of build quality. More noticeably, Alienware lappys have higher monitor quality than the average one. Along with brand name RAM and greater durability.

whatever though. Just my 2 cents.

I think the OP was refering to the idea of SLI in a laptop, not Alienware per say. Try to keep this on topic, this forum in general obviously isn't into the whole OEM thing to begin with :)

Well when it comes to laptops you can't really build your own (yeah you can buy barebone and whatnot, but that's more expensive than dell or other retailers).
Heat can be controlled, but the price premium is just too high for SLI to begin with and to stick it in a laptop.
This laptop is not about your typical carry everywhere to do computing stuff, but more of a portable gamer wherever you can get a plugin. Yeah you can build a LAN computer...but are you gonna carry that on an airplane and play in the waiting area?
I for one wouldn't buy such a laptop because I can buy a dell that's only a year behind in terms of GFX and computing performance for under 1000...save me 3k+ but I'll be a year behind bleeding edge...oh well.

I think laptops are BS for gaming. If you going to a lan party, carry your 10lb computer, its not that hard.

I think the OP was refering to the idea of SLI in a laptop, not Alienware per say. Try to keep this on topic, this forum in general obviously isn't into the whole OEM thing to begin with

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I was mostly responding to the post that was just above mine.

In anycase, I too am not very fond of SLI in a lappy. It just doesn't seem practical holistically speaking. I could only see myself purchasing one if I was absolutely loaded after winning the lottery or something to that effect. There are plenty of midsize and even reasonably small laptops that have good gaming performance. To be honest I'd be so afraid of breaking my SLI laptop if I had one that I'd probably be too afraid to ever use it. :p

Last edited:
nvidiaOCmaster said:
I think laptops are BS for gaming. If you going to a lan party, carry your 10lb computer, its not that hard.

Yeah, I can't imagine I'd really be doing a lot of lanpartying with my laptop (although I never really did anyway). BUT....my old computer didn't weigh 10lbs ...it was more like 60-70lbs, literally. And then there was also the 24" widescreen LCD. I suppose a plus of having a giant heavy computer is that it's not as easy for some theif to pick it up and walk out as it would be with a laptop.

But i do think those SLI laptops will play games just fine. I've seen some that get like 8-9000 in 3DMark06 ....which is pretty darned good, especially for a laptop. (my old system only did a little over 10,000)
But the prices are just WAY to crazy...for the price, you could build the BEST gaming machine.

heh, I would have never guessed sager making SLI notebooks, i didnt think they were that good :\ Ive got an old sager P3, and it sucked.

From what I read, they seem to be regarded as pretty good. Maybe they've gotten better since your P3?

Speaking of laptops, I got word from UPS that they would be delivering mine on Wednesday! :) yay!

Back