• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a Good Dreamweaver and HTML Book

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tspier2 said:
/me recommends a regular text editor, but this will help: http://tizag.com/
AHHHH, i was trying to remember that website, great tutorials!
@dicecca112, i got the Dreamweaver MX 2004 Bible by Joseph W. Lowery. It's packed with about 1200 pages of info, but I paid $50. at Barnes and Noble. I'm on page 39 now :eek: !!

long time users of Dreaweaver ;)

hi'
since I got it on version 2, I followed it all the way to have now the 8.02
and I'm really at ease with it, working with Fireworks8 and webstyle4, it's a real pleasure to build pages with this soft team :)
so, I guess that I don't need any book to use it the way I'm used to ;)

i686

well from what my advisor says, is to learn Dreamweaver. Looks good on a resume, and most of the industry uses it. No notepad sorry guys

kayson said:
I use Dreamweaver as a fancy PHP syntax highlighter. Screw WYSIWYG.

The WYSIWYG editor in DW has its place. For instance, when you have >2000 lines of code in a page, it's nice to merely select the item you're looking for in the design pane and have the relevant code highlighted in the code pane.

CSS implementation via the tool is much faster than hand coding. You can easily design complex stylesheets in a single interface and immediately see the effects of your changes, allowing for incremental changes without complex and time-consuming calculations (CS3's CSS implementation is much better than 8, FWIW). Color hexadecimal values are defined natively via the GUI, eliminating the need to toggle between applications.

Also, certain server-side code (db insert, edit, delete; show region, repeat region) generated by DW is fairly compact and elegant. Implementation of these common behaviors can be done in a small fraction of the time required to do the same thing by hand. The code is then easily modified using the very good code editor in DW, thus maximizing productivity.

We had several hard-core hand coders on staff who I required to learn and use DW. After they learned to properly use the tool, their productivity (and our profitability) increased by nearly 30%. They now swear by the tool.

Make sure to install the 8.02 updater. It allows DW to create much better server-side code and improved CSS.

Last edited:
Back