• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 Toledo "89" watts. How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
benbaked said:
Well, I removed my OCZ Rams and installed just one stick of ValueSelect 3200 in DIMM1. Also, disconnected the power supply connectors from the motherboard, as well as removed the battery and cleared the CMOS jumper for a total of ten minutes. Then I plugged it all back in, nothing. Also, I've disconnected the hard drive and burner from the motherboard as well as removed their connections to the power supply. Still though, nothing at all happens when I press the power button...not even the fans spin.

Just my luck, the first time in my life that I may have received a good stepping for overclocking...and the damned thing doesn't work. If the chip really is dead...:mad: If the motherboard is causing these issues I'm going to take a hammer to it and pull a mad office space beatdown on it before tossing it in the trash.

That honestly sounds exactly what happened to both of my systems that are both currently being RMA'd. Except, im pretty sure it was the motherboard that was the problem for both of them. The board wouldnt post, ever. That sucks :( I say you RMA the mobo first, hoping thats the problem. If its not.. then RMA the chip and hope you get the same stepping. Could ask for a refund and ask tankguyz for the same stepping

Okay, I'm getting somewhere now.

First, I calmed down.

Second, I switched off the power to the Bluestorm and reset the CMOS jumper. Next I removed my single stick of ValueSelect and my video card. After waiting for a little over a minute I replaced the CMOS jumper to the normal position and tried pressing the power button on the motherboard. Nothing happened...but I held the button in for at least ten seconds, and then it turned on. Of course with no video or RAM I didn't get very far. I shut it back down, and put my video card back in and then turned it on. This time I still had to press the power button down for a few seconds, but then it came back and started the (beep, pause, beep, pause) and the status indicators on the motherboard are naturally identifying "Memory Error".

Now I just shut it down, inserted one stick of my OCZ RAM in there, hooked the monitor up to the video card and went to press the Power button on the motherboard again. I had to hold it down for two seconds but it turned on and booted up, and POST is correctly identifying the processor as an X2 4400.

So, I'm leaning towards the motherboard being the culprit. At least the chip works (very relieved). I could care less about this motherboard, I can still RMA it for a few months so if it dies on me Biostar will get their crap back.

EDIT: Okay, this **** is getting really old. I got it to boot up and then got a message that NTOSKRNL is missing or corrupt and windows couldn't load. So I reboot and the thing freezes at Biostar's splash screen. So...I reboot, and then I get a long BEEP, then long pause, then long BEEP. Had to reset the CMOS jumper again. Pressing the power button on the case wouldn't turn it on but at least after the CMOS reset the button on the motherboard fired it up immediately after pressing it. :bang head: Here we go again Biostar!

Last edited:
benbaked said:
Well, I removed my OCZ Rams and installed just one stick of ValueSelect 3200 in DIMM1. Also, disconnected the power supply connectors from the motherboard, as well as removed the battery and cleared the CMOS jumper for a total of ten minutes. Then I plugged it all back in, nothing. Also, I've disconnected the hard drive and burner from the motherboard as well as removed their connections to the power supply. Still though, nothing at all happens when I press the power button...not even the fans spin.

Just my luck, the first time in my life that I may have received a good stepping for overclocking...and the damned thing doesn't work. If the chip really is dead...:mad: If the motherboard is causing these issues I'm going to take a hammer to it and pull a mad office space beatdown on it before tossing it in the trash.
usually when there is a short spin, stop, and no post, it means motherboard related. no spin at all could be power supply. spin, no beep, and no post, could mean cpu. spin, beep, and no post, could mean rams or other components depending on the beep sequence.

freeagent said:
i had a 75w 4400, it maxed at 2650 with 1.55v. pretty sucky.
where did you get the "75" watts?
is there such a thing as "75" watts dual cores?
I have been going up and down AMD documents and cant find it.

iLLestOne said:

Looking good! :)
That's nice w/ only 1.33v vcore. your temp did not go higher than 44c during prime. Are you using stock HSF? is that Heatpipe?
This chip has Temp Max of 71c, so I think raising the vcore a little wont hurt.
you may overclock some more if raise vcore another 75mv. (to 1.40v)

Now I boot up off the Windows x64 CD to fix the NTOSKRNL error and I get a message "File \AMD64\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

:bang head :bang head

EDIT: I left the thing running the bios memtest...it is hitting numerous errors on the default tests (curiously test #5 is not erring out). Now I know for a fact that this RAM works perfectly because I've been running it at 3.3v, 1T, tight timings, and a relatively high speed for almost a year with no problems. Right now I'm running everything stock (vdimm=2.6v, relaxed timings, 2T) and I'm getting a slew of errors. Is the X2's memory controller messed up? I left it running memtest and decided to walk away before I do something I may regret.

Last edited:
ochungry said:
where did you get the "75" watts?
is there such a thing as "75" watts dual cores?
I have been going up and down AMD documents and cant find it.

from the coolest's core temp app, and prior to that tcase max. it said it had a tdp of 75w

iLLestOne said:

:)

And I'm using a thermalright xp90c w/ a TT smartfan.
keep it up. Increase cpu fsb/htt 5 mhz at the time and run prime for couple of hours each time. this way you are breaking in the chip and also get the feel of stability. 2.6ghz w/ 1.35v is very good. looks like yet you have more room to go. Keep us posted.

QuietIce said:
That's VERY good for an X2!

Too bad you couldn't keep 1:1 on the RAM ...

Oh I could :) This ram is prime test stable at 290 2.5-3-3-5 and memtest at 310 2.5-3(or 4, can't rememebr)-3(same)-8(or 10 if they were 4's). (also, it's 4400, so ddr 550...so it will work at 275 for sure)

I set the divider on the ram just to make sure that the errors are caused by the cpu. Since the memory controller is on the cpu, this cpu might not be able to take my ram up to 290. I'm going to test that right after I get done with testing the cpu. I'm aiming for 280-290 (hopefully x10, 1:1 :)

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got it to boot into XP. I had to set the 3.3vdimm jumper to boot, even though my OCZ ram should (and has in the past) worked perfectly fine at 2.6v @ 200mhz. Weird why it would require 3.3v now. Another thing, the computer is now turning on within one second of pressing the power button. So at this very moment I'm folding both cores right now at stock speed (but 1.35v) to try to burn this chip in a little bit before I start overclocking it. Everything is stable...for now. I can't say that I trust it yet. :-/ I think I've given myself about a dozen new grey hairs over the past 30 hours.

So far I'd have to say I'm impressed with the overclocks you guys have achieved so far. :thup:

That's good to hear!! I'm glad you got it all worked out!

I just booted @ 2.7ghz w/ stock volts...gonna go start prime&the bbq right now! Wish me luck!

benbaked said:
Okay, I finally got it to boot into XP. I had to set the 3.3vdimm jumper to boot, even though my OCZ ram should (and has in the past) worked perfectly fine at 2.6v @ 200mhz. Weird why it would require 3.3v now. Another thing, the computer is now turning on within one second of pressing the power button. So at this very moment I'm folding both cores right now at stock speed (but 1.35v) to try to burn this chip in a little bit before I start overclocking it. Everything is stable...for now. I can't say that I trust it yet. :-/ I think I've given myself about a dozen new grey hairs over the past 30 hours.

So far I'd have to say I'm impressed with the overclocks you guys have achieved so far. :thup:

Good news man. but send that POS motherboard back as soon as you can =P. Soudns like it is raising hell

iLLestOne said:
That's good to hear!! I'm glad you got it all worked out!

I just booted @ 2.7ghz w/ stock volts...gonna go start prime&the bbq right now! Wish me luck!
Real nice and good luck. 2.7ghz @ stock voltage means you have a jewel in hand and may be able to hit the 3g mark (w/ a little vcore increase).
Wood be great to see 2.8 ghz w/ just 1.4v vcore. So it seams these "89" watts are potential overclockers. Cant wait till mine arrives on Monday and start working on it.

@benbaked: Man, I too think your motherboard is the heart of the problem and could damage rams and or new cpu. time for a new board.

Wow iLLlestOne, 2.7 Ghz at stock volts! :thup: Is your stepping CCBIE 0610 DPMW? Nice overclock!

I am interested in getting an Ultra-D, I just don't wanna pay $106 shipped for a new one. When I get home in a few hours (if I'm not passed out) I will start overclocking my X2. :D

benbaked said:
Wow iLLlestOne, 2.7 Ghz at stock volts! :thup: Is your stepping CCBIE 0610 DPMW? Nice overclock!

I am interested in getting an Ultra-D, I just don't wanna pay $106 shipped for a new one. When I get home in a few hours (if I'm not passed out) I will start overclocking my X2. :D

hehe, drunken OC'ing

tell me ow that turns out =P

Back