• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 Toledo "89" watts. How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
benbaked said:
Wow iLLlestOne, 2.7 Ghz at stock volts! :thup: Is your stepping CCBIE 0610 DPMW? Nice overclock!

I am interested in getting an Ultra-D, I just don't wanna pay $106 shipped for a new one. When I get home in a few hours (if I'm not passed out) I will start overclocking my X2. :D
Yup, CCBIE 0610 DPMW now at 2.8ghz, STOCK volts! :)

Silver_Surfer said:
is that 10 multi better than 11?
Well my ram can run up to 290, so the 10multi makes more sense. No reason to run 11 w/ a divider when I can run 10 w/o one.

Got some bad news though. Primed overnight at 2.8ghz w/ stock volts and 1 core went FINE for 8 hours! But the other core failed after 50mins. Stupid other core.

Looks like it's voltage time. What is are safe temps w/ this chip? And safe voltages? Are they just like venice's?!? (1.55v @ under 50c) I idle around 24c, but load is pretty high at 44c. W/ 1.55 in my venice, I never got to 50c, but with this I think 1.5v would def. be over 50c.

iLLestOne said:

Teehee, stock volts, but you should see how much power that's actually sucking right now. ;)
I could match that If had my OCZ 600watt PSU working right now... :(
The 4400 is highly FTW

Be careful if you want to hit 3Ghz withy the 4400... I keep hitting a wall at 2999~mhz for some reason... :confused:

P.S. Try getting better timings on your ram for ultimate FTW performance.

Shell said:
Teehee, stock volts, but you should see how much power that's actually sucking right now. ;)
I could match that If had my OCZ 600watt PSU working right now... :(
The 4400 is highly FTW

Be careful if you want to hit 3Ghz withy the 4400... I keep hitting a wall at 2999~mhz for some reason... :confused:

P.S. Try getting better timings on your ram for ultimate FTW performance.

I have my ram down now, just to make sure that if prime fails it's b/c of the CPU, not the ram. My ram is pc4400, and can run 290 2.5-3-3-8 2.7v NO problem :) Also, that cpuz is wrong. I dl'ed 1.36 and it shows the right timings (1T, Trc 7-NOT 22, lol)

I just bumped the volts up to 1.35 x 104% (1.376v in cpuz) and bumped up my LDT volts and another volt (can't remember) to what I had them at w/ my 3200 while at 280fsb, to make sure that the mb didn't cause prime to fail. I'll be running prime in a bit, so wish me luck! :)

penguin463 said:
i laughed, no offense
I laughed, then laughed a second time when I read penguin463's post.

A reminder to anyone thinking of buying an X2 4800, don't.
Get a 4400 and spend the money you saved on cooling to go even faster.
I've yet to find any reason to regret that financial decision. :santa:

89 watts? At 2.2Ghz you can lower the voltages to use alot less power then that. ;)

Well, last night I OC'd mine to 2.64 Ghz @ stock volts (240x11, 1:1 ratio on my RAM) and it was prime stable (well I let it go prime stable for 30 minutes, then I decided to shut it down and replace my AGP card with my x800GTO2 PCIe card). That was a mistake because the board would not boot again after I changed video cards. Last night I removed the battery, disconnected every connector from the board, and reset the CMOS jumper, all of this for about ten hours. Yet this morning, no such luck. None of the old tricks worked, this board would not boot today.

So I ripped out that Biostar POS motherboard and enacted some sweet revenge upon it with my trusty hammer. Mwhahahahah!!!! (I removed the CPU and RAM before tossing the board in the dumpster).

I'm off to go see how much the local shops are selling the Ultra-D for, I'm probably gonna pick one up tonight. Then the OC'ing can resume. :D

Last edited:
Wait... you smashed your mainboard because your video card would not let it POST????!?!?!? That's an easy problem to fix y'no... remove all video drivers and update the BIOS, that's all I had to do to get my NF4UL-A9 to work from a 5700 to a 7950GX2... and use the PCIe slot instead.(SLI won't work, but the 7950 allows me to take advantage of it's 2 GPUs with other methods)
The only Biostar mainboard I have is also the only AGP/PCIe hybrid they have... so you have the same modle I'm guessing.

My Biostar works perfectly... All I've ever had to do is pur heatsinks on the MOSfetzzz and replace the tiny chipset fan for overclocking.
However... it's a tricky board since it's all manual, no automatic features to do things faster or be noob-friendly. ;) It also likes to give false power readings every second, second.

:-/ It used to work fine with my x800GTO2, for months actually. And I updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version a couple of days ago. I'd just been having some weird problems with this motherboard in the past few months, I think it was starting to go out as early as late May. I had initially bought a new Bluestorm 500w thinking my power supply might be going out, because that is when I started having the strange power button issues. It was no problem having a second power supply though, I got a great Pentium D 930 and motherboard deal at Frys in June that has been a superb folder so far, so the second power supply went to good use. I didn't want to waste money on an RMA for this motherboard and then turn around and sell the replacement while I buy the board I really want, not worth my time. I don't want to buy another power supply and case for another rig so the RMA would do me no good as a second machine. I have wanted a DFI board for the past few months and I just pulled the checkout trigger on an LP Ultra-D (was gonna get the Expert but my power supply doesn't have the 8-pin connector and I'm not buying yet another power supply too). Should be here in the middle of next week.

Last edited:
benbaked said:
:-/ It used to work fine with my x800GTO2, for months actually. And I updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version a couple of days ago. I'd just been having some weird problems with this motherboard in the past few months, I think it was starting to go out as early as late May. I had initially bought a new Bluestorm 500w thinking my power supply might be going out, because that is when I started having the strange power button issues. It was no problem having a second power supply though, I got a great Pentium D 930 and motherboard deal at Frys in June that has been a superb folder so far, so the second power supply went to good use. I didn't want to waste money on an RMA for this motherboard and then turn around and sell the replacement while I buy the board I really want, not worth my time. I don't want to buy another power supply and case for another rig so the RMA would do me no good as a second machine. I have wanted a DFI board for the past few months and I just pulled the checkout trigger on an LP SLI-DR Expert. Should be here in the middle of next week.

congrats man, i think that your old mobo definately got what was coming to it...

this reminds me. I found a 15" CRT at a pawn shop for 95 cents. Of course it dind't wrok, but that doesn't mean it still can't be fun. It has been sitting in my closet for the past month or so.... i think if my bro comes home with the car i will take it out and throw it off of something... or at something

*shrug* who knows

iLLestOne said:
Well my ram can run up to 290, so the 10multi makes more sense. No reason to run 11 w/ a divider when I can run 10 w/o one.

I got question, do you always drop the multi down? Because I see in your sig your dropped the 3200+ to 8x. And maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need a divider to run at 11x vs. 10x? At 11x you only need 255 FSB to reach 2.8ghz, well within what your RAM can do. And say your RAM tops out at 290mhz, 10x only gives you 2.9ghz. If your CPU is capable of more, the 11x will give you 3.2ghz.

damarble said:
I got question, do you always drop the multi down? Because I see in your sig your dropped the 3200+ to 8x. And maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need a divider to run at 11x vs. 10x? At 11x you only need 255 FSB to reach 2.8ghz, well within what your RAM can do. And say your RAM tops out at 290mhz, 10x only gives you 2.9ghz. If your CPU is capable of more, the 11x will give you 3.2ghz.
Good question - I hadn't noticed his sig.
I'm with you on that - seems like the 3200 should run at 280x9 (same 2520), which would leave the RAM running at 1:1 ...

iLLestOne said:

Oh wow what can I say, you have a killer chip there. 2.8ghz w/ 1.35v vcore is outstanding.
Move over Opterons, these 89 watts are the way to go. cheaper than opterons, lower TDP than Opterons, and overclock better than Opterons @ stock vcore. Excellent work mate, keep it up.

Edit: Ok i see one of the cores failed. Have you downloaded the AMD dual core optimizer from AMD website?
Before you raise vcore prime some more @ 2.8 ghz w/ stock vcore (after downloading optimizer), and possibly raise vdimm voltage, lower HTT to 4x or 3x, raise VLDT and SB voltage another notch, and play w/ the ram's timings. you may need to try 11x multi if no luck w/ 10x @ 2.8ghz.
Also, It may need more stress test to break in. Anyways, good luck w/ it.

Last edited:
wow...my 89 watt 4400+ isn't even stable at 2.5gHz w/1.5 vcore. Core 0 craps out immediately in Prime at that speed. I got a total dud of a chip.

ochungry said:
Also, It may need more stress test to break in. Anyways, good luck w/ it.

QFT. You'll probably see a little higher overclock / more stability after priming it a few more times. :thup:

I raised the vcore last night (and dropped HTT multi to 3, had it at 4 which made my htt 1120...that could have caused prime to fail)

14hr prime stable at 2.8ghz 1.4v :)

Back