• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD sending off s939 in style - 4000+ KAB1E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for awesome advice! I only play games sometimes and usually just do photoshop, programming, browsing mostly. I know that my computer is enough for now, so I think I'll hold on.

I've been totally out of loop for at least a year and have no clue what are you talking about when you are saying AM2, but my guess it's some kind of new socket?

Another question but little off topic, my dad has FX-53 right now and he complains that sometimes it's too slow for him in photoshop since the files he works with are huge. Do you think upgrading to dual core would help a lot? If yes, then I could probably use his FX-53 because it's definately faster than my Venice according to the tests I did. Some other specs of his PC are Fatality motherboard, 2gb of Corsair memory, raptor main drive, maxtor 300gb and 500gb HDDs.

r0nd3L said:
Thanks for awesome advice! I only play games sometimes and usually just do photoshop, programming, browsing mostly. I know that my computer is enough for now, so I think I'll hold on.

I've been totally out of loop for at least a year and have no clue what are you talking about when you are saying AM2, but my guess it's some kind of new socket?

Another question but little off topic, my dad has FX-53 right now and he complains that sometimes it's too slow for him in photoshop since the files he works with are huge. Do you think upgrading to dual core would help a lot? If yes, then I could probably use his FX-53 because it's definately faster than my Venice according to the tests I did. Some other specs of his PC are Fatality motherboard, 2gb of Corsair memory, raptor main drive, maxtor 300gb and 500gb HDDs.

Of the top of my head, i am thinking that the FX-53 stock is 2.4ghz? Tup, jsut checked. Either way. I don't know if photoshop is milti threaded (meaning it would use both cores at once). Dual core is nice because you can be playing a game, and have the other core burning a dvd, or doing somethign else majorly CPU intensive.

AM2 is a new socket that came out a bit ago, good guess =P

but yeah, if you can nab his FX-53 and convince himt o go dual core, go right ahead, haha. He could go for a 4800+ X2 and it runs at the same rated speed of his fx-53. Imagine 2 FX-53's one one chip, haha. Awesome.

AM2 is a new socket released that takes advantage of DDR2 instead of normal DDR thats used by the 939 systems. Theres a small performance gain, not much to upgrade completely from a 939 to an AM2, but if your doing a completely new build theres no reason not to go AM2. AMD has said that there future AM3 chips will be compatible on AM2 motherboards, so it as well is future proof.

:)

r0nd3L said:
Another question but little off topic, my dad has FX-53 right now and he complains that sometimes it's too slow for him in photoshop since the files he works with are huge. Do you think upgrading to dual core would help a lot? If yes, then I could probably use his FX-53 because it's definitely faster than my Venice according to the tests I did. Some other specs of his PC are Fatality motherboard, 2gb of Corsair memory, raptor main drive, maxtor 300gb and 500gb HDDs.
Moving to X2 will gain ~2% right off the top (even if it's not multi-threaded) b/c of Windows overhead.

The real problem w/Photoshop is it's a memory hog. If it's running stock he'd be better off cranking up the clock (and turn down the multi if he wants to keep the CPU near stock) to open up the memory bandwidth and really use the RAM. One of the few situations where bandwidth may be near as important as CPU speed ...

QuietIce said:
Moving to X2 will gain ~2% right off the top (even if it's not multi-threaded) b/c of Windows overhead.

The real problem w/Photoshop is it's a memory hog. If it's running stock he'd be better off cranking up the clock (and turn down the multi if he wants to keep the CPU near stock) to open up the memory bandwidth and really use the RAM. One of the few situations where bandwidth may be near as important as CPU speed ...

Thanks a lot for great info! Kind of sad as I was expecting dual core to be almost twice faster for Photoshop. He currently has 2gb Corsair ram and I'm not really sure that it can handle any higher speeds than stock.

I'm pretty sure this is the RAM he currently has: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145596

r0nd3L said:
Thanks a lot for great info! Kind of sad as I was expecting dual core to be almost twice faster for Photoshop. He currently has 2gb Corsair ram and I'm not really sure that it can handle any higher speeds than stock.

I'm pretty sure this is the RAM he currently has: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145596
If that's the RAM he's got it'll run 250 easy and probably more:

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX2048-4000PT.pdf

If it's a decent MB then I'd run the CPU at 250x10 (a very mild over-clock, which the FX should handle with no problem) so you're really using that DDR500 rating. The 4000PT would probably go 260 on stock timings but that's getting into OC territory ...

QuietIce said:
If that's the RAM he's got it'll run 250 easy and probably more:

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX2048-4000PT.pdf

If it's a decent MB then I'd run the CPU at 250x10 (a very mild over-clock, which the FX should handle with no problem) so you're really using that DDR500 rating. The 4000PT would probably go 260 on stock timings but that's getting into OC territory ...

Wow, I'm stupid. Sorry for providing wrong link. The ram is rated at DDR400 stock since it's the older version. Motherboard is pretty good Abit Fatality nForce4. The reason I don't want to overclock is because it seems that his CPU is running a little hot. I'll see what's up with that and maybe get better heatsink.

Back