• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooler for prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DEZMOND

I just built a system for a friend, temps are in the high 60's under load.what do you intel guys recommend? Its got a Thermaltake SILENT 775 now.

The best aircooler that I've seen so far is the Tuniq Tower.
It was supirior to all other coolers in that particular review, saw it on xbitlabs

after owning 2 pressy for the first years of my oc'ing life

mrfreezesidivertesk5.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Pic not working (at least for me)

A Scythe Ninja can be had for pretty cheap now, and they perform very well.

One diasadvantage of several of the recommendations is that the fans blow horizontal to the mobo resulting in sometimes not enouf airflow to mosfets etc. on the mobo.

BT, xp120 (/ultra?) etc don't have this drawback.

You can compensate for it with extra fans for the cpu area of the mobo where most of the hot components are.

The Ninja is probably the best price/performance of the tower-style coolers. The Tunic Tower is the absolute best but it's huuuge.

Keep in mind the tower-style ones are big. I had to do some case surgery to fit a ninja in my Coolermaster case and it barely fit plus I have to mount the fan after sliding the mobo tray into the case. So be sure to measure for fit before getting a tower-style cooler. I also put a small fan to help airflow across the power circuitry as suggested above and it dropped my PWM temps noticably.

Thanks for the replies,I have it priming now at 3.6 ghz according to everest its maxing out at 69c.I heard that these abit boards are about 5 degrees off on readings.Is 64c a safe load temp?

Jeepers....

Suggest you download Throttlewatch, just to make sure it's not throttling the cpu performance back.

That's about as hot as I've seen. One or two instances of Prime?

You using AS5 under it?

ghosty1234 said:
"Thermalright SI 120" with "120mm Delta EHE"
A high CFM Delta fan is something don't want to hear ever again. Those things make you go deaf. I've seen the light with quiet computing and I'm never going back, to all this noise and racket.
I used to have a 68CFM 80x38mm 5000RPM fan on an AX-7, BTW.

Maybe you should look in to the case temps and general airflow with those temps. If the case temp is well above ambient then improving the case airflow would help the CPU temps.

I used as5 and his case has excellent airflow,its a aerocool 3t case.I think the cpu fan might be pulling air off instead of blowing on the cpu.Whats the max volts you guys run on air with these?

Too long ago for me to recall, but basically you don't want to running above 60 degrees unless absolutely unavoidable.

A quick search should give you an answer... what speed is it rated at stock? Stepping would also be helpful.

The Coolest said:
A high CFM Delta fan is something don't want to hear ever again. Those things make you go deaf. I've seen the light with quiet computing and I'm never going back, to all this noise and racket.
I used to have a 68CFM 80x38mm 5000RPM fan on an AX-7, BTW.

I agree,

I still have my AX7, that was a great HS.

Back