• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows vista general info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi, I havent been to these forums in ages, and I imagine these questions will seem quite stupid to most of you, but here i go :) lol

is there a 64-bit edition of windows vista, or is it worth me waiting till there is 1?

is there a huge difference between the releases? Or for a home user, should i just get the cheapest option?

any idea of a release date yet?

are then any big reasons to upgrade other than directx10?

and finally how power hungry is it? will you need a top PC to cope or will a PC a cple of years old be fine. and also will I notice an fps drop in games?

Thanks

The current vista beta is slower than XP in some things epecially gaming with DX9 games. Who knows how the release will compare. I will not be upgrading to vista for a while. As long as there is still XP support and no need to upgrade to DX10 I am staying with XP for now.

My x1900 will carry me well into 2007 and maybe even 2008.

Vista at $99 sounds very affordable. What about the other versions of vista, I heard there will lots. Vista ultimate.
Thanks

IF Home Basic turns out to be $99, I would expect Uber to be around $250 as it combines everything (Home, Enterprise, Tablet...)

I just reinstalled Vista on my system, but this time 32bit, and I am finding it much more stable. WLM used to crash on me constantly in 64bit, and I would get a notice it would be fixed in RC1. I am now trying to install other stuff (games, other utilities, etc) to see how it goes. I have noticed a few diffrences between 32 and 64bit, like the absence of the window preview for the taskbar, and other minor things.

Yeah, it is slower, but there is alot more eyecandy that can be turned off.

cheers for the answers guys :)

I imaghine beta will be unstable anywayz Oroka, i just hope they fix the 64bit version for release hehe :)

computer specs, doesn't look too bad, machine in my sig should be fine

im now just wondering what is the actual difference between the versions, as microsofts page is very vague.

the pirce sounds pretty damn good though :)

other then the eyecandy i just see the 32bit version and a glorified xp. im running the beta version and it is much slower then xp is on bootup. i really hope this is why they havent released yet. i would like to try the 64bit version but i cant find drivers for the ati3200 chipset yet :mad:

CGR said:
The current vista beta is slower than XP in some things epecially gaming with DX9 games. Who knows how the release will compare. I will not be upgrading to vista for a while. As long as there is still XP support and no need to upgrade to DX10 I am staying with XP for now.

My x1900 will carry me well into 2007 and maybe even 2008.
My Vista was slower than XP but now it seems to be as fast since I did some adjustment like Tweaking Vista like XP :beer: , I was about to put my other HD back into my PC an I said it's not going to hurt nothing because I'm going to formatt it anyway but after Tweaking it's alot faster now :burn:

Back