• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is high speed memory worth the price for C2D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^ the point is, the ram timeings have no RW advantage and its really looking like that even ram frequency is haveing little RW advantage.

The only thing I can agree with is Rattles observation (wich is the same observation that I had realize a while back) the most butt kicking, best overclocking ram (not including some of the brands that are pre-overclocked to DDR2 1000 and DDR2 800 for you) is only about $70 more per 2 gig set and its not making alot of sence not to get it rather then marginaly cheaper alternitives.

greenmaji said:
^^^ the point is, the ram timeings have no RW advantage and its really looking like that even ram frequency is haveing little RW advantage.

There must be some advantage or no one would buy based on performance. Myself I do a lot of gaming and a decent amount of video work on weekends so ram is a big part of what I look at for my machines. Load times still get a good boost from faster ram as long as your HD is up to it. Folks like Gautam, who's been reading/writing here as long as I have, are talking about the good results they are getting with Team Group PC2-5300 because it's pulling 3-3-3-8 timings...has to be a reason people want those timings.

Myself a couple years back I decided I'm done with chasing benchmarks and now I only look for fast/reliable setups (need both for the video work for sure) hence I went with 2 gig Corsair XMS2-800 ram and run it at spec timings, I bought it for both the speed and the bandwidth and yes I know theres better to be had. Likely I will pick up some 8000 sooner or later to run 1:1. As I said previously, a balanced system works best so going cheap on the ram is a bad idea in my book. Of course your free to do as you like.

You forget people might buy things based on faulty assumptions, I think that's what this article is trying to show especially for stock speeds.

greenmaji said:
Any chance of an artical were overclocking, 1:1 vs downward dividers and real world gaming performance would be doable?
Some testbed graphs to look at would be extreamly helpfull.
TIA jmke :)

we no longer have Core 2 test setup in-house at the moment; but's in our wishlist of things to work on once we do get our hands on Core 2 again.

Dragonprince said:
I don't understand where this mentality has come from

from the world of facts ;) the game you mention (Oblivion) is one of the FEW exceptions on the rule. The FACT is that 99% of new games are very very very very GPU dependant, sure you need a speedy enough CPU, but we're talking 2ghz A64 or 3Ghz P4 here, as being "speedy enough".

Whether you have 3800+ or Core 2 X6800 in your gaming system next to 7900GT SLI, you won't notice the difference. We're not talking about benchmark numbers here, we're talking about NOTICING the difference;

if you run at lower resolutions with that SLI system you'll go past playable 60FPS point immediately, and anything over that you simply won't notice (and if you're running on LCD/TFT you better have vsync on to prevent image tearing and thereby locking FPS to 60). Now if you start turning up the detail in-game/resolutions/AA/AF which drops performance, you still won't notice UNLESS the game is CPU dependant (I can name 2 now which will benefit Core 2, Oblivion, Rise of Legends) which is highly unlikely... so you're increasing the load on the GPU and thus it becomes the bottleneck.

No matter how fast your CPU gets, your game FPS won't increase, so whether there's a 3800+ inside or X6800, you would not be able to tell the difference when playing GPU dependant games.

now you go on about CPU.. my statement is about MEMORY timings; which, even in the BEST CASE SCENARIO with specific benchmarks shows a tiny difference; NO WAY will it impact real world gaming, even Oblivion won't show a thing I'm quite convinced.

MEMORY SPEEDS however CAN show a difference, but again, in RW... very very very small, since it's not the memory subsystem which is at it's operating limit, but the GPU :)

MadMan007 said:
You forget people might buy things based on faulty assumptions, I think that's what this article is trying to show especially for stock speeds.

100% correct, my idea for the article was too evaluate if more expensive memory will give you better performance , comparable to the extra $$ you are paying for it. OCZ's PC7200 DDR2 sticks allowed us to run at a wide variety of speeds/timings and thus the outcome was known after a 14+ hours benchmark session.

if you run your system at stock speeds and don't intend to overclock (I run my work-station at stock speeds FYI) you're best of with PC4200, unless you can get PC6400 for the same price.

now if you are going to overclock, all bets are off, since you're no longer running a default system speeds, keeping memory 1:1 with FSB will give you that tiny bit of extra performance, and in this case higher rated memory will give you more headroom.

the article is not meant to tell people at OVERCLOCKERS FORUMS new things, if you are overclocking, you already knew most of what the article is saying. It's meant to tell people who DONT overclock and would rather pay less than more, that the Core 2 CPU is happy with cheaper PC4200 and buying higher rated memory won't give you a noticeable performance boost.

edit: pratical example from http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/GB-DDR2-RAM-speed-ftopict197700.html

I'm a bit of a unexperanced computer builder, and I'm planning on building a gaming PC. I was going to get 2GB of RAM, DDR2 800. My friend told me that for today's games, 2 gigs is fast no matter what, and DDR2 557 would be a better buy, since its cheaper, and at 2 gigs the speed doesn't matter. Is he right? Should I get DDR2 557 instead?

(I didn't post the link the madshrimps article there, somebody else did:))

thank you all for the feedback!

Last edited:
summed it up well for me also, i've been saying for ages that ppl moving from high end s939 setups to conroe expecting massive improvements in gaming are in for a shock.

much better off using the cash for a faster gpu or moving to multi gpu.

with regards to memory the same as it's been since 939 on amd ...fast memory is all but irrelevant for RW environments for the majority of users - YMMV.

but everyone has their own ideas and agendas, i'll eventually move to C2D because i use phase and the coldbug under amd is annoying

Dragonprince said:
My own experience is that moving from a dual core P4 at 3.8Ghz to a E6600 clocked to a mild 2.9Ghz (for now) is like going from 1996 to 2006 while playing Oblivion

well duh :) P4 is *** for gaming ...you have enough stars under your name to know this.

you could have moved to a 3gig amd rig and got the same jump in performance

Dragonprince said:
Suggesting a cpu like the A64X2 3800 is as good as a E6700 for gaming when paired with a 1900 OR 7900 series card is rediculous.

no this is just how it is, it's not rediculous at all. unless you're in the 1280x1024 res and below camp.....gpu is your bottleneck for 99% of the time not cpu/memory subsystem

this is not an anti intel bash on my part either, i think the C2D's rock :beer:

I skimmed through the posts, so if I missed something, I'm sorry.

I read the article. Here's my take on it:

The article definitely proves the INsignificance of the need for more bandwidth, but it's not thorough.

The GPU is the bottleneck, so why would memory timings affect the performance much? If they ran the core2 at say 1.6ghz, and then played with memory timings, I think there would have been a greater difference. I have no proof and I could be completely wrong, but this article is not complete proof for me.

If there is a vcard out there that is TWICE as powerful as the x1900xt, then I bet that timings and memory bandwidth will play a much bigger roll than what this article states.

Hope what I said makes sense...

g0dM@n said:
I skimmed through the posts, so if I missed something, I'm sorry.

I read the article. Here's my take on it:

The article definitely proves the INsignificance of the need for more bandwidth, but it's not thorough.

The GPU is the bottleneck, so why would memory timings affect the performance much? If they ran the core2 at say 1.6ghz, and then played with memory timings, I think there would have been a greater difference. I have no proof and I could be completely wrong, but this article is not complete proof for me.

If there is a vcard out there that is TWICE as powerful as the x1900xt, then I bet that timings and memory bandwidth will play a much bigger roll than what this article states.

Hope what I said makes sense...

Yeah godman... you missed something. What's his name said exactly that, in more detail, about five posts ago :) :beer:

greenmaji said:
Naa.. I had it in my mind I needed ram that could overclock to DDR2 1000+ speeds before reading this ROFL..

ddr2 1000mmm its soooo nice... i run my E6600 @ 333fsb = 2.997ghz and ddr2 1000 running a 2:3 divider.... SOOOOO FAST 16.8 sec super pi 1 m.... and i was running the ram at stock voltage and timings..... this is the gskill stuff... with the new D9 chips... i honesly think its a very good choice to get some good ram... GSKILL DDR2800 "HZ" FTW!!!! but make sure you get it for 240 or less cus etailers are ramping up the prices.

nd4spdbh2 said:
ddr2 1000mmm its soooo nice... i run my E6600 @ 333fsb = 2.997ghz and ddr2 1000 running a 2:3 divider.... SOOOOO FAST 16.8 sec super pi 1 m.... and i was running the ram at stock voltage and timings..... this is the gskill stuff... with the new D9 chips... i honesly think its a very good choice to get some good ram... GSKILL DDR2800 "HZ" FTW!!!! but make sure you get it for 240 or less cus etailers are ramping up the prices.

I really don't think you need expensive ram to hit DDR2 1000. My cheapo XMS 6400 Corsair 2x512 ram did DDR2 1400 at stock volts! That was on the El Bizarro Asrock 775Dual-VSTA mind you...

I should put that up on CPU-Z's website verified so I can join the legions of other VSTA owners who managed to get away with that without blowing down their houses...

rainless said:
I really don't think you need expensive ram to hit DDR2 1000. My cheapo XMS 6400 Corsair 2x512 ram did DDR2 1400 at stock volts!

What? I call BS. Post a screenshot.

batboy said:
What? I call BS. Post a screenshot.

I as well call BS on that. That would be 700Mhz FSB which you are having issues hitting 500Mhz if not mistaken and where talking about 450Mhz being too warm.

Well, 700 FSB using the 1:1 ratio, but only 350 FSB with the 1:2 ratio. Still, ain't happenin' at default vdimm using that Corsair RAM.

ya im definetly gonna have to see a screen shot of that before i believe it.... actually a cpuz validation because photoshop works wonders. I mean i could todally see 1200 with the new D9 chips (like on my gskill stuff) but some el cheapo doing 1400... right... i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that... what kinda voltage were up pumpin throught that... u stick it in a SIMM slot that pumps out 3.3 v :eek: :beer:

[email protected], 400FSB DDR800 4-3-3-8 1:1 is damn fast. My rig at these specs get 8000MB/s in Sandra memory, 12k in Everest Memory. So the key is to get memory that will run 1:1 with low timings. If you plan on running 500FSB, get DDR-1000 that can do atleast 4-4-4-12.

RangerXLT8 said:
[email protected], 400FSB DDR800 4-3-3-8 1:1 is damn fast. My rig at these specs get 8000MB/s in Sandra memory, 12k in Everest Memory. So the key is to get memory that will run 1:1 with low timings.

How about DDR2-800 using 4-3-3-6 timings. This is my new Mushkin XP2-6400 with D9 chips. It's not 1:1 ratio, because I haven't got a Core 2 Duo yet. But, soon, very soon...

940-RAM-tight-800.JPG

Back