• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters
In the last 5 years, I think I've had 20+ cases. Some cheapos, some real expensive ones (even a CaseLabs M8 with Pedestal). I love building in them, even if I'm using the same parts over and over. I just like new cases.

I am the exact same way, every time i switch a case the build gets better and better, cable management, aesthetics, etc

Here's an update from me. I stopped using my original case with my backup PC close to a year ago. Upgraded to a Cooler Master Elite 430, and used that for 6 months or so, then went case-less for around 4-6 months. The Elite 430 just didn't have enough airflow to cool the components when I was benching, and had some issues with not being able to fit fans (hitting my RAM and CPU heatsink), nice case otherwise if you can get your components to fit in it.

Just upgraded the socket 939 benching rig to a HAF 922 this week, hopefully this one is sufficient and lasts a long time. This case is huge, and built like a tank, actually had trouble fitting it on my desk. Only downside so far is that one of the stock fans is making an annoying buzzing noise, might have to replace that one or lubricate it.

Upgraded the Cooler Master Elite 430 I was using for my main PC to a 690 II Advanced after about two years. Think I'll keep this one around longer, as it is much quieter and cooler-running than the Elite 430 was, probably mostly because the 140mm fans I used are much quieter than the 120mm ones I was using with the 430. This thing fits a lot of fans too, I've got five intake and three exhaust fans on it right now, plus the CPU, GPU, PSU, and chipset fans.

Last edited:
i think i have successfully been in the same case for a year now lol, or almost i dont remember, though i have modded it quite a bit since i bought it. though i have swapped around cases quite a few times just because i decided different hardware needed to be in different machines.

I've probably had 3 main cases over the last 10 years, and a slew of other cases used for things like HTPCs, servers, and testing...I've also tried a few cases I didn't really like so I just picked up some budget components and sold them.

I just recently got the Corsair 600T white and I'm hoping that will stay around for awhile, its so nice having some of the modern features over my last older case, I guess I also used a NZXT 210 white briefly until I got the corsair, that is now going to become my new server case.

How long did you have your case 6 months i would answer, as i have just sold it on Ebay yesterday! Ready for my new build project coming in about 2 weeks or less depending when the new parts arrive. AJ.

My current machine actually started out as a high end workstation from 2003 or so. (No, I didn't own it at the time, unfortunately.) It ended up sitting in a scrap pile of various other old PCs and servers, and I offered to take them for recycling and I got them all, including the one that was going to be my new PC. Since I have no use for such an old machine, I took it all apart, reused parts where it made sense, and added in some new parts to make a new machine.
4kcmit.jpg
2j43inl.jpg

I change my case every time I build a new machine, most of my machines get handed down to my mom when I build new.

My first case, around 23-24 years ago, was an IBM expansion case. I modded it several times as I upgraded components. Had that little beast for 5-6 years (money was really tight). I think since then I've owned/bought 5 cases for myself although I bought more to build systems for other folks. And wound up with a bunch of freebies. Not much changed in case design for a while so far as the feature sets in them, at least not enough to get me excited. The color Beige got really old. I will probably buy an HTPC size box before long and move my components in the living room into it just 'cause. (HTPC used to mean Half Tower PC, now seems to mean Home Theatre PC; wonder what it will mean in another few years?).

From my observation, the last few years have been really good for consumers due to the advances in design. Lots of players in the market too. There are some very cool units to choose from any more but it also takes a lot more study to find what matches the system specs and ambiance I'm resolving; not a bad thing, just so many choices. Well, that and some good shop tools. :D

I changed my case every build previous to my Cosmos II

Now I doubt I'll ever change it again, unless a bigger mobo than HPTX comes out that I have to have, lol.

I'll keep it untill computers become brain implants =P

Wow, dunno when I voted on this, but I put I change cases every 3 years and so far that still seems fairly accurate. My Antec 300 started to look like it was on the losing side in a fight against the Persians, so just last week I changed over to a Corsair 500R. According to my Newegg history, I got the 300 January of 2010, so yeah, just over three years.

Last edited:
Keeping your case for several rebuilds is an easy way to save some extra cash for other parts, since it will continue to work with different parts for a lot longer.

My 'build' originally was in a 600T in september 2011, then I migrated it to a 550D after about a year and since then i've changed nearly every component. If there is a 'new' 650D in the summer I would like to change to that and then hopefully I will FINISH my build and it will remain in that form forever and then I can start 'build 2' with no pressure.

I do own a laptop. Which I have been changing annually so far i've had an XPS16, MBP13, M14x and XPS13, along with my rig that makes all 5 PC's i've ever owned. 80% of them had i7's.

I don't change my underwear very often, I haven't bought any since getting my new case. :facepalm:

JR

I got my current case 8 years ago for my birthday from a particularly wonderful group of friends who accepted and celebrated my marked nerdiness. I recently upgraded my hardware and slapped a couple new fans into the chassis. I also spent part of a day cleaning out dust, and afterwards I think it looks attractive and good as new. Better than new actually, because of all the memories. It's like if your wife was suddenly once again just as hot as she was when you started dating :p

Anyway, I feel like I'm lucky because my case seems to have the standard stuff which isn't going out of style. For reference its an Apevia original X-Dreamer except mine's covered with decals and badges from years of upgrading and an affinity for stickers. Also, I broke the front USB ports a long time ago, so I swapped them out for some new 3.0 ports. And don't even get me started on the spilled redbull incident of '08...

I am going to keep this case until I HAVE to replace it. And I'm good at modding, so I think I'll have this case for a very long time. And so might my kids.

Last time I changed cases was back in 2009 when I got my Cosmos S. But I didn't really need it at the time either, the case is probably one of the components with the greatest longevity.

I am due for an upgrade soon though :p

I'm thinking a Cosmos II or a 900D.

Back