• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters
I've changed cases twice this year, upgraded from a beige box to another beige box, then to a Lian Li. I will probably keep this case for a looong time though.

I almost never change cases. I only bought a new one because I wanted something different and I was working at a place that was even cheaper then online, plus I could check the condition of it. I voted over 3 years

I would never change a case, rather than that I would buy one that looks badass and love it. If I buy a new case is because the actual one broke in half which is something odd or I'm building a new rig that obviosly needs a case :p.

Never, a new computer goes into a new case.

I'd only switch if the case i got originally was a poor case.

jcw122 said:
Never, a new computer goes into a new case.

I'd only switch if the case i got originally was a poor case.

My thoughts exactly. Unless it's like a $300 case, then I may just get a cheapy to put the other rig in. :D

I am the type that feels each computer should have its own case / personality. I haven't built many computers but every one I have build has been different in some way or another. My next build will be very similar in design to one of Sneaky's. There is a chance that when I upgrade from this build that I will keep the case, but not likely. I will probably throw it in a corner plugged into the LAN and Folding when I rebuild (well, before I rebuild too but ya).

~jtjuska

As often as I want to make a new fashion statement, or when rust eats a hole through the case, whichever comes first (I live in a desert climate).

New case with a new build is my plan. Considering this thing is 3.5 years+ old i've found several thing about this case i don't like and am hoping to avoid in my new build.

so far since mid 2004 I have been through 4 cases. The first one was a $10 special at Fry's electronics, and while it was made of steel, it was about the weight of a n alumminum case the steel was so thin. I then went to a steel/aluminum combo case, an Enermax, which also was $10 on newegg. I recently H20'ed my setup, and that case ran out of room fast, so I got the Thermaltake Armor for ~$100 on Newegg with MIR, and I know I will never buy anything smaller again. Right now my only gripe is that it is extremely heavy, being the all steel black version. Right now I am using Moto7451's old mid tower case on my Hackintosh as well.

I haven't changed cases in like 5 years now... I wish I had some extra $$$ to invest in a good case, but the prices of quality cases here in Israel are simply silly.
And its a crap cheapo Generic case!

I only will change my case if there is need.

This machine has been in two cases. Three if you count the box it sat on when I first got it. the first case for this was just to hold it upright. I tossed it in the trash shortly after I got this one. Unless I have a need. It will always be in this case.

A new machine gets a new case. Unless I sell just the innards of the current.

I havent changed my case Lian Li PC 6070 since the day it came out is the day i bought it, soo.. its been over 4 years i think now. And i only did two tiny mods to it.

Not often. In the past 6 years I've had maybe 3-4 cases. The current case I'm using is a Coolermaster Stacker and I'm in love. I don't think I will be switching this thing out for a looooooong time. Not till they decide to switch to a completely different format or something and big cases are obsolete. I like the room for my water cooling setup and it's very modular. The only thing I may do to modify it is put a 120mm blow hole up top to replace the 80mm one already there but it's not a priority. I already modded the window so that it has a 120mm fan blowing on my videocard.

I prefer changing cases only if the old one is beat up or there is a new standard, but unfortunately due to miscellaneous mishaps I'm waiting on an Antec P160 to come in, which would make it the third case for this year.

Back