View Poll Results: How often do you change cases?

Voters
781. You may not vote on this poll
  • after 1 year

97 12.42%
  • after 2 years

134 17.16%
  • after 3 years

117 14.98%
  • Over 3 years

328 42.00%
  • less than 1 year

44 5.63%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

42 5.38%
  • I own a laptop

25 3.20%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear

43 5.51%
  • Eobard eats catnip

64 8.19%
  • Oni is a ninja

102 13.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    my case upgrades:
    x superalien --> sonata II --> p150. thats all within 3 yrs. i will upgrade again as soon as something better comes out that maximizes airflow so i can run with as few fans as possible.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I generally keep my old cases forever it seems like, but in the last year I've ended up buying 2 cases. The first was a new Coolermaster Praetorian RC730 (replaced a dumpster diving special) and the second was a used Silverstone TJ06B, which i got for $80 delivered from another forum's Trading Post. I just retired my old 1997 era generic full tower case I bought back with my first ATX system build (replaced with the TJ06). All my other cases have decided to become folding farm machines. I do have one old piece of junk $25 case that I want to replace in the next year or so as it's made of thin guage weak steel, narrow and doesn't have real good ventilation.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    I had my only case since day one. Its a Cheiftech SOHO Mid Tower moded for W/Cing. Removed both front HD cages, and put two 120mm fans up front. Its seen so many mobo changes. Snice my first Tbird 1300 and KT266A Shuttle board
    Workstation and Mobile Workstation

Dell XPS 1330:
    Core 2 T7500, 3GB Ram, 320GB HD, 13.3 LED, 8400GS, 20inch Dell 2007WFP When at Home.

10 Year Badge
    I have used the same Antec\Chenming\Cheiftec SOHO\1040\Dragon case for the last 4-5 years in my main machine. These cases are classics, solid, functional design, and they have been rebranded, revamped, and sold under many different names. I think when I got mine, it was the same case that Alienware used.

Fact is though, when you see one, or a derivative, you'll recognize it. I really wonder who is the actual manufacturer of these cases, is it Chenming?

I got mine in high school as a Chieftec Dragon in metallic blue, to upgrade to cheap Inwin small/mid tower I had before that had fan holes cut in it, and was spraypainted gold/silver without any prep (man was that an ugly case when I got through with it). Mostly though I hated the lack of space.

The only thing really wrong with it is that the paint has 4 years worth of scratches on it, one time I even dropped the case off a trolley as I was moving out of school and it is very slightly dented.

I have modded it a little bit, I changed the side fan grill out for one that is much less restrictive, and I added side USB ports using one of those USB brackets.

"Strong with the fold this boy is, fold you must"-NASSoccer
    its a shame you cant ban people for being ignorant fanboys....
    My Heatware
    [Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4][PHII 940BE][Thermalright Ultra90][2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC][Palit HD4850][Enhance 5150GH][Windows 7,Ubuntu 12.04]

I've been on my current case (a blue Chieftec Dragon) for 4 years (I bought it when I was a freshman), and now that I'm halfway through my senior year, I thought I'd reward myself. I just (today!) picked up that blue CM stacker that SVC has on sale for $80. I've been eying that case for months, and I have the funds, so why not?
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
    4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL DDR2-1000
    EVGA GTX285
    Corsair HX620W
    500GB 7200rpm Samsung SATAII hard drive
    1TB 7200rpm Western Digital Caviar Black SATAII hard drive
    HP N40L NAS with 8GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333 and 4x2TB Hitachi 7K3000 RAID-Z1 with FreeNAS

My first question of course would be "why do you want to change cases often"? I have never had to change cases because I have always been able to modify what I had for what I needed. I am assuming you are asking this question for some type of aesthetic reason?

I have had my Chieftec Dragon Silver case for about 4yrs now , as long as all my upgrades fit i dont need to change. would like to get a clear side panel with a fan for it though. it keeps everything cool and has alot of room so i am happy with it .

I finally got case with all of the space that will need, no need for upgrades any more for me. Moutain mods u2 ufo case
    Dell XPS 1330 T8300, 4GB PC6400, LED Monitor, DVD Burner, Intel 4965 wireless, Bluetooth 360, 9cell battery, Windows Vista Ultimate, Remote

Q9550, Gigabyte ex38 ds4, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500, evga 8800gt, Corsiar 520w psu, WD 640GB HD, LG Eide Dvd Burner, Antec P182

HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Neur0mancer
    waiting for my stacker to arrive.. 90 shipped... most I have ever paid for a case, and one of these days when im not too lazy i will build another custom one that works better then my last one.
    is that the stacker 830? couldn't be with that price ...

man! the 830 looks like a great case.

i'm currently using an armor and quite like it ... but would love to be able to fully cover the front external drive bay's ... led's are quite bright on the fan controller.

otherwise ... unless i was making tons of money ... i wouldn't upgrade my case but every three years or so.

i'll be using the armor for some time i think; very good temps with the side panel fan and basically the whole thing is perforated.

---------------------

Senior2 Member
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile
    I've actually been using the same case since my 2.53ghz northwood build a few years ago. Just never got around to buying a new case I guess, but it's long overdue. I just haven't been able to find the right one yet I guess

Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1

2006-:

Put that away. I cant take my eyes off it. soo pretty
    OPEN Source Saves lives, and Money.

System: NOthing... but alil ol laptop.

^ that thing is sooo colorful!!

Yeah, i've been using my antec dragon black case for almost 5 yrs now w/ 4 different overhauls... all through college, and now after college...

I've been using some generic beige case for about 8 months. Sucks pretty bad but by the end of the weekend i'll have a new one on it's way. i really don't change cases all that much.

Registered
    Only when necessary. Sometimes less often than that.

I've bought 3 cases. All are pieces of c**p. 1 each for 3 computers.

1st one (upgrade for an HP pavilion) because I needed another external drive bay.
    2nd one (upgrade for another HP pavillion) for a computer that I rescued out of a dumpster. It was beige.
    3rd one for a new computer build. I didn't want to do the shoebox thing. Now I wish I had. Would have saved me a lot of grief. CD door broke. Wires on side fan broke (I only removed the panel 200 times ). And then the power switch popped off. It had been causing all sorts of bizarre problems, so in a way it was good thing it finally self destructed. Don't know what happened to the other CD door ...

Next case will likely be custom, and probably soon. I'm getting tired of crossing two wires together to turn my new computer on.

Registered
    It's been 6 years and im sick! Anyway 3+ years wins the vote

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I would say every 2 years or so.
    MSI P7N-SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ stock speed
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2 800
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    I have gone through a few cases the last few years... but always ended up putting my stuff back into the cheapest case I ever bought (25 shipped from newegg)

That was of course until I got my stacker

Quote Originally Posted by leojharris
    is that the stacker 830? couldn't be with that price ...

man! the 830 looks like a great case.
    Its the STc-t01 thing is HUGE
    All rants I produce are sole property of 127.0.0.1.
    10 types of people understand binary.
    Suck iiiiiitttttttttt. -Shawn Spencer
    Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

I've had 2 cases over the last 7 years, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.
    AMD Phenom 9850BE 3Ghz (200x15) 1.36v - Still testing...
    OCZ Reaper HPC (2x2GB) 533Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.05v
    ASRock AOD790GX/128M
    XFX 8800GT 512MB

Heatware Profile
    I went through three..

The worse one I ever had was the Aspire X-dreamer case.. And nice setup and case you have there looks sweet!
    Intel I5 2500k @ 3.7.......................................Intel Q2D 6600 @ 3.2
    AsRock P67 Pro 3(B3).....................................Asus P5B Deluxe
    G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3 8gigs..........................Corsair XMS2 4gigs
    Corsair HX 520W............................................CoolerMaster 500Watt
    Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer..........................Onboard
    CoolerMaster Elite 430....................................Antec 900 (1st gen)
    Geforce GTX 560 TI (OC: 1000,2000;2280).....Geforce 7900GTX 512mb
    WIndows 7 Ultimate 64bit..............................Windows 7 Pro 32bit
    21.3 inch HP S2231 .........................................Acer 20 inch LED
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=59488

Quote Originally Posted by Neur0mancer
    I have gone through a few cases the last few years... but always ended up putting my stuff back into the cheapest case I ever bought (25 shipped from newegg)

That was of course until I got my stacker

Its the STc-t01 thing is HUGE
    you still got a great deal on that case; looks nice. do you use a 250mm side intake fan? i've got the armor with such a fan and it really helped temps overall ...

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast