• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters

articRider

Registered
just curious about this, as it seems some people change case everytime they do a big upgrade.

I'm still using the same coolermaster case since 2002. And it has seen 3 motherboard installs.Now on its 4th.

varies depending on gear and what I am thinking about doing.

I have used the same Raidmax case through about 4 rebuilds/builds BUT it is nearing the end of its life without heavy amounts of replacing (most plastics are hacked up) so I may be recycling it or turning it into a NAS server at the next rebuild.

Adragontattoo said:
varies depending on gear and what I am thinking about doing.

I have used the same Raidmax case through about 4 rebuilds/builds BUT it is nearing the end of its life without heavy amounts of replacing (most plastics are hacked up) so I may be recycling it or turning it into a NAS server at the next rebuild.

my coolermaster is still in good condition. Just needs a good dusting which it will get soon.
i do kinda envy those that have the money to buy a £200 case everytime they do a big upgrade.

I change cases prolly every 5th build or so. Or whenever I see the need. The case I have now will be around a while I feel since it is perfect for me now. Plus this is only the second build in it, so 3 more or so I guess, and money aint that poppin now for me so it may be atleast another year or 2.

yup.. I take the hand me down and less liked cases and hack them up..

The raidmax case is one of those that was put out and then put down almost as fast it seems, the TT case I am using is one of the old Xaser series cases that isnt made anymore.

The three empties I have gathering dust right now are two of the Antec/Chenming/etc steel server cases (not full tower unfortunately) and an older Aluminum Antec Lanboy that has been involved in a car accident and fallen off two desks (pretty beat up and a few serious dents)

hahaha I see dents and crap as character. There aint nothing that says mine like some nice dents and scratches. The easiest way for me to prolong buying new cases though is by painting the case or something, and after reading a guide on a mirror finish paint job I am tempted to give it a shot; however, if I screw that up, I will be ****ED!!!

1 per year?

are you buying new each time CGR?

How heavy are you modding these cases??

Just found out that I may be getting a VERY old server to abuse (P1 or so but it is a cube case!!) so I may be getting into a new case this year assuming I can remove the AT and server portions and mod in replacement parts.. WOOT)

my current case is on it's second build and with the $180 price tag i hope it lasts a long time. thats why i went with the cm stacker. it has more than enough room/bays for any thing i'll need for a long time. although after a year or so i think it may finally be time to take a dremel to it.

I am about to get a new case for the first time in 5 years. My previous case has been through 2 major rebuilds and alot of heavy modding on the case. But now the screws are starting to strip out and everything is getting loose. At first I was going to get a nice Lian-Li or other High end case. But now I think I am going something a little cheaper and have more fun with modding it.

About 1 every two years... only because I find new cases to mod. My old one is going to turn into my server made of parts from my old build.

I start out with a crap case when I do a new build thanks to my lack of money, then I save up and buy a Lian Li or such.

on the same case from the beggining- ist been 3+ years
iv tried others, but like my TT above all :D

Over the last 5 years I've had 3 cases. I usually don't switch unless I find something better. (More fans, better design, quieter, something fancy) I couldn't imagine upgrading from my Antec P180 too soon though, I really like it.

Usually my old cases will go to rebuild other rigs with cases I don't like. The worst case usually gets given away or thrown out. (Last case I threw out was bent and had some misc case fan holes in it.)

Haven't changed my case since I retrofited my CHENMING CMUI-601AECB for H20 cooling back in late 2003

• If it 'aint' broken it doesn't need to be replaced.
  • Buy a good case to begin with to avoid having to upgrade. It's always cheaper to spend more initially, and get what you want to begin with, rather than settling for something else to save a buck, you'll end up buying what you initially wanted down the road, and you will spend more :)

Hey, anyone want to make this a poll? Just post the years? ie- <1 year, 2, 3, 4, 5+ years. Would be interesting to see how often people are swapping cases on their main rig.

Back