• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters
I've only changed cases 4 times

1. When I went from the horrible Packard Bell case to a smaller Antec back in 1997
2. When my brother gave me a new case with 120mm blowholes cut into it in 2001
3. When I decided to buy a used Antec 3700AMB because it would be smaller, lighter, and would cool better with some mods, plus it was recommended by SPCR for being a cooler case
4. When switching to an Antec P180 - I got it solely for the thicker panels to help keep in sound and the indirect air intakes in the front that had a higher quality plastic than the front of the 3700AMB, giving less of an "echo" noise when the air gets pulled in. Frankly, my 3700AMB cooled great and despite the constant touting of the P180 being an awesome case for cooling, I saw no improvement. Like the pads isolating the panels and PSU from the case though; should have included some isolators like with the Sonata II. Then again, other than the isolators, all of Antecs new designs make the Sonata series, touted as being quiet/silent look like crap anyway.

just changed cases :p,
09_17_06_2025.jpg

Still using my old PC65-B from lian li.
The first case i had was replaced somewhat quickly (6-9 months) but i suspect that was because it didnt suit my needs.

So long as it works for me, and swaping out parts isnt a pain in the *** when they give up the ghost, i think i'd one of the 'over 3 years' type.

Unfortunately, my p180 is only 2 months old, but i want a lighter case with a window... so time to switch:)
BTW: what does oni is a ninja mean?

Only just swapped from a Xaser 3 to a armour after 3 years.The main reason was space and I wanted 120mm fans for cooling as a standard fit.

Once Im working again and maybe sell my hotrod I can build several from now till the cows come home or till 40k lasts. Naw I Love my hotrod too much.

So about every 4 years or as technology advances.

I find that i just get tired of seeing that same ole case about once a year and decide to upgrade/change. Same thing as redecorating rooms of our house i guess, drives my husband crazy hehe

I voted for "more often than i change my underwear" :D and "over 3 years" because technically I've been using the same case for like 3-4 years and don't ever plan on getting rid of it. It's an old AT server case that I had wanted since something like 1999 and I finally got ahold of it 3-4 years ago. I did a ghetto at to atx conversion and have been moding it since.
However I have been changing cases every other day since I decided that I was going to add in more internal HDD bays (i'm a hdd whor* --- 1.7TB/7 HDDs....and they are almost filled :eek: ). I started on it and then decided that while i was working on it, why not mod it so i can finally have an IO plate lol. Well that turned into "why not rip the mobo tray out and put an atx one in"...
So I didn't get it finished and had to use the extra Antec case I had laying around...I sold that one a couple of months ago and borrowed a buddies for about a month. Needless to say, I'm now at the point where, instead of rushing it just so i can use it again, I've decided that I'm going to pick up a new case that will suit my needs and do the thing right (as the case means a lot to me and I'd rather sacrifice using it for a few months than rushing it)

Sorry for boring you with my ub3r long blabber. :D

-Gary

Basically, I only change cases if the old case is too old to be reused in my next build, I plan on keeping the old build (and case) when making a new one, or the old case is no longer suitable to my needs (because nobody wants to carry a 60 pound computer up into their dorm room when they switch schools ;))

only when i have to! an atx case is an atx case. i switched when i moved from AT to ATX and once to my newest one (~2 years ago) because I kicked the grill out of my old one (plus it was beige).

I have purchased new cases , well used cases over the years and I still come back to my pride and joy , Inwin Q500 . It has seen more than 10 dirrerent mobo's and currently houses my 939 system , I have a LianLi , Chenbro (old overclockers.com Forums box) a few $30-$40 cases , and a few rackmounts . None of the cases have near the airflow of my Inwin , even the Lian Li with 2 x 120's and 1 x 80 .
I bought this case as my very first build over 5 years ago , and its still teh best one I own . After I bought it I found some replacement front bezel complete . so I can change from black to white in 2-3 minutes . This Inwin can be used as a chair without question , sturdy as all get out , I have used it as a step stool on more than one occasion .At the time I weight 200lbs ( just a tad more now )

waiting for my stacker to arrive.. 90 shipped... most I have ever paid for a case, and one of these days when im not too lazy i will build another custom one that works better then my last one.

Back