• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible malicous program.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crfracer290

OK, well I just installed Limewire pro and I started downloading a few songs and my system started flipping out, 100% CPU usage and the computer was barley responding, I managed to get Task Manager opend and I viewed the processes to see what was going on..Well, there were two seemingly identical .exe programs called dumprep.exe that were using 100 percent of my CPU and 39,XXX,XXX K of memory each, naturally I ended them both and my system came right back.

So, anyone have any idea what this is, I have never heard of it, as I type I am running Spy Bot, AD SE, and ZAP, to try and detect this thing.

Dumprep.exe (Dump Report Utility) is the logging software in Windows that records when there is an error. I had a similar problem before myself. To disable it go to control panel/system/advanced/error reporting and check the box to disable error logging.

crfracer290 said:
Ok thanks dude, what kind of error causes this software to come up?

BSODs and OS crashes usually. This will cause Windows to generate a dump of the memory which might have caused the crash to send it to Redmond, dumprep makes this memory dump.

Back