What is RAID 0 ???

please explain to me (briefly) how it works and what it's for.

Works by striping data evenly across multiple hard drives and it decreases access times. Overall, it improves performance of the system but comes with a catch. If a drive fails, you'll lose it all since the file and system data is dispersed evenly among the drives.
    EVGA E760
    i7 920
    6 GB Corsair Dominator
    4x OCZ Vertex 30gb | RAID 0
    EVGA GTX295
    Corsair HX850

Registered
    Well you can still make backups though, as you would if you were only running on one HDD. I backup all my files onto my old computer so if or should I say when one of the 2 HDD on this computer fail I have backup of files on my old computer.

All thats needed then is to replace the bad HDD and install a clean version of windows and transfer files from old computer to the one I currently use.

When people say there is a catch I think they must alway be comparing it to RAID1 setup where you have 2 HDD and you use the one but the second is an complete copy of the first, problem with this is it is slightly slower as your computer needs to write two copys of everything rather than just the one. Instead of comparing it to single HDD setup.
    Abit AW9D MAX | Intel E6600 @ 3.7GHZ | 4x1gb Corsair Dominator PC8500
    2x250gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 in RAID 0 | 500gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 | ATI HD 4870 1GB | Enermax Galaxy 850w
    5.1 Creative X-Fi | DD Water Blocks CPU and Video Card | D5 pump| Black Ice Pro 360 Rad

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable1
    Works by striping data evenly across multiple hard drives and it decreases access times. Overall, it improves performance of the system but comes with a catch. If a drive fails, you'll lose it all since the file and system data is dispersed evenly among the drives.
    Actually I does not affect accesstimes. Accesstime is a sum of the arm used for reading data (inside the disk) moving to the correct place, and waiting for the disc to rotate to the correct place for reading to be able to start.

RAID 0 increases the throughput of the drive, since generally the bottleneck in terms of disk performance is the disks ability to read and write. To bypass this, RAID 0 works by either splitting the stream data and (simultaniously) writing half on one disk, and half on the other, or reading from both disks and combining the data. Theoretically this would double the performance (though in practise the differance is usually alot smaller).

And as mentioned, you double your chances to lose all your data through disk failure, as either disks failure will mean files can nolonger be combined from the two sources (half of each file will be missing).

okay, thanks for the info

Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    This is the best graphical summary of it IMO

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
    MAIN: Biostar H61MGC / i3 - 2120 Sandy / Team Elite 8GB DDR3 1333 / 300GB V-Raptor / OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 / Case: Modded CM 690 / Logitech Z-640 5.1 w/ Onboard Audio / Westy 22in Widescreen / Emprex 22" Widescreen for static viewing

HTPC/SERVER/ETC: Biostar H77MU3 / Core i3-3220T / CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 / PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W 80 PLUS Bronze
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD ( OS ) + WD 20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache ( Video, Music, Pictures ) + 500GB Hitachi ( TV recordings ) / Custom Rosewill CHALLENGER
    (2) AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner / HP Media Remote / Antennacraft Colorstar C490

Everything you need to know about Power Supplies and buying a new one ___ Heatware ___Retired Case: Modded Full Tower

Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    Actually I does not affect accesstimes. Accesstime is a sum of the arm used for reading data (inside the disk) moving to the correct place, and waiting for the disc to rotate to the correct place for reading to be able to start.

RAID 0 increases the throughput of the drive, since generally the bottleneck in terms of disk performance is the disks ability to read and write. To bypass this, RAID 0 works by either splitting the stream data and (simultaniously) writing half on one disk, and half on the other, or reading from both disks and combining the data. Theoretically this would double the performance (though in practise the differance is usually alot smaller).

And as mentioned, you double your chances to lose all your data through disk failure, as either disks failure will mean files can nolonger be combined from the two sources (half of each file will be missing).
    RAID0 increases access times as the drives are neither spin syncronized nor are they operationally synchronized. There is also no guarantee that the drives are mapping logical addresses to the same, or similar, physical addresses.