• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is RAID 0 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Works by striping data evenly across multiple hard drives and it decreases access times. Overall, it improves performance of the system but comes with a catch. If a drive fails, you'll lose it all since the file and system data is dispersed evenly among the drives.

Well you can still make backups though, as you would if you were only running on one HDD. I backup all my files onto my old computer so if or should I say when one of the 2 HDD on this computer fail I have backup of files on my old computer.

All thats needed then is to replace the bad HDD and install a clean version of windows and transfer files from old computer to the one I currently use.

When people say there is a catch I think they must alway be comparing it to RAID1 setup where you have 2 HDD and you use the one but the second is an complete copy of the first, problem with this is it is slightly slower as your computer needs to write two copys of everything rather than just the one. Instead of comparing it to single HDD setup.

Abominable1 said:
Works by striping data evenly across multiple hard drives and it decreases access times. Overall, it improves performance of the system but comes with a catch. If a drive fails, you'll lose it all since the file and system data is dispersed evenly among the drives.

Actually I does not affect accesstimes. Accesstime is a sum of the arm used for reading data (inside the disk) moving to the correct place, and waiting for the disc to rotate to the correct place for reading to be able to start.

RAID 0 increases the throughput of the drive, since generally the bottleneck in terms of disk performance is the disks ability to read and write. To bypass this, RAID 0 works by either splitting the stream data and (simultaniously) writing half on one disk, and half on the other, or reading from both disks and combining the data. Theoretically this would double the performance (though in practise the differance is usually alot smaller).

And as mentioned, you double your chances to lose all your data through disk failure, as either disks failure will mean files can nolonger be combined from the two sources (half of each file will be missing).

dropadrop said:
Actually I does not affect accesstimes. Accesstime is a sum of the arm used for reading data (inside the disk) moving to the correct place, and waiting for the disc to rotate to the correct place for reading to be able to start.

RAID 0 increases the throughput of the drive, since generally the bottleneck in terms of disk performance is the disks ability to read and write. To bypass this, RAID 0 works by either splitting the stream data and (simultaniously) writing half on one disk, and half on the other, or reading from both disks and combining the data. Theoretically this would double the performance (though in practise the differance is usually alot smaller).

And as mentioned, you double your chances to lose all your data through disk failure, as either disks failure will mean files can nolonger be combined from the two sources (half of each file will be missing).

RAID0 increases access times as the drives are neither spin syncronized nor are they operationally synchronized. There is also no guarantee that the drives are mapping logical addresses to the same, or similar, physical addresses.

Back