• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WINXP Pro Problem: Anything involving explorer.exe loads SLOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
This has been happening for a good week now, not really sure what could be connected to it, but here goes.

No matter what I'm loading, whether it's the pop out box in start menu to show my drives in my computer (roll mouse over to expand), or just in general loading up my documents from my desktop, or opening containing folder through utorrent. Does not matter WHAT I'm trying to open up.

When I have task manager and cpu usage open, it jumps from 0% to 11-15%, and the actual process of explorer.exe in the "processes" tab, jumps to the top of the list (under system idle process, but still makes a significant jump). Then of course it takes another 5 seconds JUST to open the thing.

I am on xp pro, SP2, with all the newest updates (the useful ones at least). I had IE7 RC1 installed, but uninstalled a few days later, so I'm back to 6.x)

What should I start looking at as far as problem areas? I formatted about 3 weeks ago, brand new install, on a 15k 8mb scsi drive. And it wasn't doing this when I first reinstalled. I only started a week or so ago (like I said).

Thanks

Have you cleaned up an un-needed files with Disk Cleanup and defragged your HDD as well. The XP defragger is totally rubbish I use Diskeeper 9 Pro miles better miles faster also can do a boot-time defragger as well.

Unless IE7 left some files, I would also look to the disk. Run CCleaner, do chkdsk and make sure no sectors need rewriting or reallocating.

Did you do a chkdsk /r to make sure you don't have bad sectors slowing down HD performance?

orion456 said:
Did you do a chkdsk /r to make sure you don't have bad sectors slowing down HD performance?
there was a problem with ultramon. I don't really know what the deal was, but as long as ultramon is closed, it works like normal

Back