• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with xp, PLEASE help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

I've noticed lately that winxp has been running REALLY slow after upgrading to an x2 4400+. It now runs WAY slower then it did with my 3200+ (at stock and oc'ed speeds).

It just took my computer 2 minutes to open up cs:s. I noticed that the mem usage in task manager was only 72k, then it went up to 49,000k when cs:s actually opened. Could this mean something? I REALLY don't want to reinstall windows (might be able to repair though). I'm using a key on a action pack (10 uses, so if I install again it counts as another use...i know i can call them, but that's a hassle). It once took the calculator 30sec to open. When this is happing, my cpu is only around 0-10% being used, so it's not that. I think it has something to do with the initial LOW mem usage.

Anyone know what might have happend? I did some 3.0ghz testing, so I might have corrupted something. Is there any way to check if I did? I also have 750gb's of HD space, I dunno if that would make a diff.....

Any help would be great! Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also using the ZoneAlarm sec. suite....if that makes any diff. and I've also installed all the AMD patches (driver, optimizer, and hotfix). Had the problem before and after installing all of them.

hmmm....I unplugged 3 hdd's (now only have a 320 and a 74gb plugged in) and now everything is back to normal. Doesn't make any sense why I can't have 5 hdd's plugged in at once, but whatever...stupid micro$oft

Back