• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maybe offtopic but a question about phase change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

i have a stock watercooler (used to dispense water) and everytime the thermostat turns the cooler off. the wholething shakes for a secound. and if i pick it up and stake it around i hear the same sound. its coming from the phasechange unit.

maybe somethings loose?

btw the sound isnt made when it turns on, only when turned off.

Dont shake it, if it is what i think it is you can throw the piston off the springs and then the compressor is done for. Be carefull.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Dont shake it, if it is what i think it is you can throw the piston off the springs and then the compressor is done for. Be carefull.

i wasnt shaking it, when i first unpacked it. and put it into place i could hear something rattling when it was moved.

hermetrically sealed compressors make the knocking sounds when moved around, and when they are shut off they shake and make a little noise. just what they do.

crimedog said:
hermetrically sealed compressors make the knocking sounds when moved around, and when they are shut off they shake and make a little noise. just what they do.

ah ok, thanks

the sound is the piston hitting the walls. How "normal" that is, is a matter of how hard it is hitting the side. A little bunp here and there wont do anything but you shake it hard, drop it, flip it, and you will be out of a compressor.

The whole motor and piston assembly is suspended on springs inside the housing to minimise noise.

When the compressor turns off, the motor slows down and the movement of the piston reaches the low resonant frequency of the cradle, at which point the assembly rocks side to side often gently knocking into the housing.

It's not the piston hitting the walls, the piston is enclosed but like epion said if you do shake it violently you could b*gger it :)

Tom

Ah, didnt realize it was the whole assembly with the motor. Either way you dont want to test you luck there.

I think it was on phase-change.com ages ago someone dissassembled a piston type compressor, they had some realy good high res shots of the workings etc. Its worth looking for if youve got a bit of time to spare...

Tom

Good digging Epox :)

I think that thread on phase-change.com should be linked to in every forums phase change cooling "usefull links" sticky...

Tom

Tom, I only recall seeing you post at XS (well just a few times here)
Thanks for dropping by to explain this :)

Last edited:
ok so its been working great for months but just last week anything the compressor is on its making that shaking noise and its driving me crazy. is there something i can tighten? also is it normal that tank looks tipped over.... i wish i had pics of it new!

cooler015.jpg

cooler002.jpg

any tips? thanks sooo much guys!

Back