• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i block Limewire via router? [WRT54GL]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

What type of service is Limewire? i want to make it so my router block any thing to do with limewire

dfasdfasdfasd.jpg

could any of these settings work?

So Let me get this straight, You dont want to use limewire's service? Im not getting what your saying?

because i keep telling my sister to stop ****ing leaving limewire on 24/7 consuming my entire bandwidth but she still use it thats why i want to try and block it

Afaik Limewire/Gnutella uses port 80 for its traffic which means you can't catch it with a port block. You need to do L7 filtering

Oh ok. Dont you just go to internet options, security , restricted sites and type www.limewire.com. Is this your computer a sharing computer. If its yours put a password on your accounts and block limewire.

As far as I know all P2P programs use TCP and UDP ports. Just open up the program in question (Limewire) and go into tools and then options, find the ports and manually block them in your router. Any P2P program that would use port 80 I would think is too insecure to be using, and apparently poorly written.

Captain Newbie said:
Computer--Unplug from router.

Honestly...technical solutions for societal problems don't tend to work very well. ;)

I would tell her to stay the heck off except for peak times. Failing that, you can block outbound the port she uses for Limewire and block inbound all.

He has a router that can be used with third party firmware which he can use to restrict the amount of bandwidth she is able to use. Which as long as he is fair about it is the next best thing to settling it by communication.

thanks for the input i found out how to make it work now all i had to do was put my mac address in highest priority in the qos thing now i dont lag when some one else has limewire on

Ah, so you diddnt /really/ want to block her, you just diddnt want her taking up YOUR bandwidth.

glad you got it figured out. My solution was to give her linux ;) she'd never find that gnutella or whatever its called.

Back