• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEAD PIXEL POLL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many dead pixels do you have?

• NONE and loving it

Votes: 402 75.1%
  • One

Votes: 81 15.1%
  • Two

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • Three

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Four

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • More than 4

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • I bought an LCD and returned it and received a replacement with no dead pixels

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • I bought an LCD and the vendor wouldn't replace it (list vendor and # of dead pixels)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I bought an LCD and the manufacturer wouldn't replace it (list manufacturer and # of dead pixels)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Dead pixels suck

Votes: 83 15.5%

• Total voters
I've been fortunate to have never received a LCD with a dead pixel (as far as myself or my users can tell) but I've had LCD monitors with other issues.

Particularly my PQI/Xerox LCD at home will "burn" in a steady image after just a few minutes (like the menu bar for example), and it takes several hours for the burn to dissipate. It's annoying when I'm trying to do...well anything really, but turning the screen saver on after a minute seems to help it out.

Also, I've had a lot of problems with the VG920 LCD from Viewsonic. Viewsonic's other LCDs I've used have been fantastic but I've had to return 50% of my VG920 displays due to issues ranging from multiple horizontal lines to "sparkled background effects".

i had a retarded pixel one time ....it was a dead pixel dead center of my screen for 2 months.... then all of a sudden it would flash different colors....

and then ... like magic... after 3 months, it finally worked normally !! that was cool

Silversinksam said:
Poll requested by BossBorot

How many dead pixels do you have?

How do I find dead pixels? Use Dead Pixel Buddy

update.gif
Many people have multiple LCDs, so you can now select multiple choices
I only entered one entry for zero pixels. I have two LCD's and two Laptops and NONE of them have any dead pixels. My wife has had three company issued laptops and none of them had any dead pixels, either.

None on my 20" w/screens. Although my PSP had, yes HAD, 7 or 8 dead center of the screen (so annoying!) until I fixed it by cycling the primary colors on the screen with a "gif" file for about 24 hours (anyone who owns a PSP should already know about that trick), then it was down to 1 and stayed that way up until I sold it.

Same can be done with an LCD monitor. If you notice you have what appear to be "dead" pixels, you may be able to bring them back to life by cycling the primary colors (eg. blue, green, red, white, black) rapidly for several hours.

What this basically does is "exercise" the transistors that power the row/column of their respective pixels, switching them from full off, to full on, etc...

Most of the time if you apply a black screen and find pixels that are white, chances are they are in fact "dead", but not all the time, but if the pixel happens to show a color, then there is a good chance the pixel is "stuck, or what I call lazy, and cycling the screen rapidly through the primary colors in most cases will bring them back to "life".

The program that SSS has graciously linked to will cycle through the colors well enough to do it, just set the "time cycle" to a value of "0" for the fastest result, although a better alternative to the program would be making an animated gif file with each frame the needed color, and setting the frame delay to "0" and using a program to display it full screen. That will cycle the colors at the fastest rate possible, and bring most "stuck" or "lazy" pixels back to life the quickest. (ATTN! not recommended for those who suffer from forms of epilepsy, as this can induce an epileptic attack in some people.)

I'm unsure if others who already responded in this thread know about tricks like this, if not, now you do!:beer:

Krogen said:
I have one, always was there. Viewsonic 700b monitor, 3 years old, 16ms. Like it a lot.

Well, would you like to repair it?

I found a very neat little program that can do just that!! In order to fix a "so-called" dead pixel you'll need to blast it with mutiple colors and force it to turn on and off.

Here is the link. LINK #1

And if that website fails, I'm hosting the file as well.

LINK #2

It works very well. The color bars on the left let you find the dead pixel. Some Dead pixel's are green. Some are black, very few are blue. But this allows you to find them. Then on the right pane, select how many flashing boxes you need so you can fix multiply pixels at once. Move your mouse over it, and you'll get a cross. Click and hold to move it over the dead pixel. Plus, you can change the Flash or cycle interval. I hope my little find can help you guys with your dead pixels.

I think this deserves a sticky!

Enjoy!

Joe

Last edited:
Joeteck said:
Well, would you like to repair it?

I found a very neat little program that can do just that!! In order to fix a "so-called" dead pixel you'll need to blast it with mutiple colors and force it to turn on and off.

Here is the link. LINK #1

And if that website fails, I'm hosting the file as well.

LINK #2

It works very well. The color bars on the left let you find the dead pixel. Some Dead pixel's are green. Some are black, very few are blue. But this allows you to find them. Then on the right pane, select how many flashing boxes you need so you can fix multiply pixels at once. Move your mouse over it, and you'll get a cross. Click and hold to move it over the dead pixel. Plus, you can change the Flash or cycle interval. I hope my little find can help you guys with your dead pixels.

I think this deserves a sticky!

Enjoy!

Joe

I have trouble believing it works. I mean, if it's dead, it's dead, isn't it? I'll try this right now though.

Last edited:
Weird stuff. I don't know what happened to my dead pixel. I downloaded the file and tried locating the pixel but I couldn't find it. As far as I remember it was always there but during normal use it was almost invisible since it was on the bottom right corner of the screen (peripheral vision not as effective as foveal?). It was only visible if the lcd displayed either a single color or I was watching a movie far from the screen itself. Not there.

Well, I don't want it back :)

I purchased a Samsung 940BX from ZipZoomFly.com with 4 stuck green pixels in the upper right hand corner.

I returned it and they sent me a 940BX with 1 stuck red pixel in the upper left hand corner.

I doubt I would purchase Samsung again.

Tmod

Back