• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp boot time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunter00

windows xp pro is really spastic as far as boot times go for me. i didn't time anything, but you know those bars that scroll across in the opening screen where it says windows xp? i get anywhere from 3-30 scrolls, which is odd to say the least. No one else i know has problems like this, its always normal boot times, i was wondering if anyone knew why this happened or if there was anything i could do to optimize (shorten) my boot times. thanks!

First thing I would try is (If you haven't already) go through your start up files in msconfig and clean them up this should help the boot time a bit and possably help the spastic boot times if one of your start up files are causing this delay .....

Yodums is sooooooooooooooo correct it is a great site with every kind of tweak even too many for me and I tweak and regedit until my fingers bleed!

search for bootvis if you are the lazy type.

Heres a tip I stumbled upon for faster shutdowns and it seems to work great with no degradation of files being written to hdd @shutdown

Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\

and set the setting "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout" 4000(20000 is default)

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and make that 4000 too.

BACK UP YOU'RE REGISTRY BEFORE YOU PLAY WITH IT

Tweak programs or start-up (msconfig). So far I can't complain tooooooooo much about this OS, it encodes video fine, edits my music just fine so far I'm happy :) :)

for me it wasn't the "vitamin bar"....mostly just after logging in (network settings....bleah)

after installing i did notice a faster boot thru the bar....and logging in was MUCH faster....lets see if it'll stay that way!

Back