• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World Community Grid Team?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WCG has some mighty random run times!
Some are rated at 3h, some 4h, some 6, some 10, it's crazy.

I like how it has a bunch of different projects and you can select which one(s) you want to help out.

I've signed up for World Community Grid, but have to finish some other wu's before I start crunching away for them.

I love the way they're focused on immediate needs over at WCG. Very nice projects.

We are ranked number 401 at the moment, btw. (by points generated on BOINC's stats for WCG). Note that BOINC stats has it's OWN pointing system, which is designed to even out the points from all the different BOINC projects.

We are moving up, but we need some more oomph! (that's the technical term, I believe). ;)

Last edited:
Depressingly short thread here.
I signed on when Rosetta ran out of work, I'm going to stick around a while and see if I can drag the team rank up somewhat.
Mostly I'm very selfishly running bitcoin, but that can pay for the WCG power used :D

Yes, it's a VERY short thread. :(

I saw your work for WCG. I donate to it also, but only a few days, every couple weeks or so.

It's a worthwhile d/c endeavor, but it just has so little enthusiasm on this forum, atm.

I'll finish up the wu I have now for FAH on my i7, and join you later today.

I like the small memory usage, and how you can set which WCG projects you want to work on.

It doesn't cripple your computer while loading up all 12 threads of a 980x when you first boot either.

WCG is next up on my "get a million points in everything" mission.
I'll probably go back to rosetta after I manage it to get the ~270k I need for 2m though.

For the moment, WCG it is! I have a long way to go before 1m :D

EDIT:
You see everything don't you? I'm going to have to go on a quest far and wide to find a DC enterprise that you aren't keeping an eye on!

Last edited:
My mission has SETI, FAH, and Rosetta done, but WCG is suffering because the Summer heat won't allow me to run the computer for it, all the time. I have to squeeze in a few days here and there, until cooler weather arrives.

I had to do some FAH folding just to learn about the new FAH client. It's entirely different from anything I'd seen before. So I've got my eyes on 13M for FAH. Then finish up WCG's first million.

I'm with you - WCG is nice, lots of projects to choose from, and relatively small resources needed for it, too.

Also, Dengue Fever is moving this way from Central America, I hear. Should arrive in the US, in 5-20 years. Nothing like being prepared. :thup:

Bob, YGPM.

No clue what Dengue Fever is, but I'm fairly certain I don't want it!
Go WCG, Go!

Dengue Fever is similar to West Nile Virus. Transmitted by mosquitoes that are infected, it can either be rather harmless, OR especially if you get it a second time, it can manifest as a life threatening hemorrhagic disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

So yeah, nobody wants it, to put it mildly. Currently, there is no vaccine or therapy, other than general support.

When you click on the projects tab, you see World Community Grid listed, correct?

Two possibilities:

1) You have adjusted BOINC manager options to use SETI and/or Rosetta only, or

2) In WCG, you have not told it what projects you want to work on.

Click on projects tab, World Community Grid project, and on "My Grid" button on the left hand side of the page.

Some of the projects are intermittent because after they get phase one done, they need to analyze the data, before they make up phase two. Then of course, they have to use a supercomputers time, to make up the work units for us.

Check it out because with the right settings, WCG has always had work units from some project, for me. Just now, I got a full page full of work units, immediately. They are out there, waiting for you. :clap:

And welcome to the WCG team, Bogie! :thup:

Who's your good looking friend in your avatar?

Thank you for the welcome, on my one pc its working fine but on this is there is no tab, i tryed deleting project abd readding and still nothing, plus there isnt a tab for it, just seti, rosetta. Thats Bogie in my av, when i 1st joined the forum couldnt pick a name, so used his, he passed away about 6 years ago, i was gonna change my name, but figured why, is always a good reminder of him using his name.

Last edited:
Hit "Advanced View", you'll get a much more advanced view, with some tabs and such.

In advanced view, you should see something like this, when you click on the "Projects" tab. Yours should include all your projects: SETI, WCG, etc.

Attachments

• BOINCTabs.png
    BOINCTabs.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 264
Back