• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap computer specs, Did i mess anything up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Antec NSK4400 ATX Mid Tower 380W ATX12V V2.0 Silver Black
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHZ 1066FSB
Intel DP965RY ATX LGA775 P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI Video 1394 Sound SATA2
Patriot Signature PC2-5300 1GB 1X1GB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Memory
Patriot Signature PC2-5300 1GB 1X1GB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Memory
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 320GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB 8.9MS
LG GSA-H10N DVD+RW
LG GSA-H10N DVD+RW
BenQ FP91G+ 19IN 1280X1024 550:1 8MS 0.294MM DVI VGA Black LCD
BenQ X-TOUCH 805 Wireless Keyboard Mouse PS/2 Combo Black
Logitech X-230 2.1

Looks ok?
Its never gona be OC'd and is replacing a Duron 900
And when all is said and done, tax in, should cost $1330 CAD

check the atx connectors on the psu against those on the board.

LG GSA-H10N DVD+RW x2?

diamondmax 10s have a tendency to die at a young age, might want to get a seagate instead.
onboard video :(

she wants 2 optical drives to copy CD's easy

And what am i missing with the PSU?
ATX 2.0 PSU
and a PCI-E mobo, this shoudl have a ATX 2.0 PSU

Maxtor DM10's work just fine for me
never had an issue with any, but yes seagate would also be a good call, and was in my origianl draft, so if maxtor isnt in stock when i go pick it up i'll get the smaller Seagate

As for onboard video tell me why i should budget in a $100 card to surf the web and read e-mails, thats 1GB more of RAM
Shes not a gamer...
the RAM was the biggest thing i wondered about,,, not running it a 800MHz... but then again toching up photos is her big thing, and she was happy with a duron, so save some money.... Already went $100 over what she wanted to pay

Last edited:
well i'd say whatever is cheaper, the 1gb stick of ram or a cheap video card so you don't have to share the ram. 2gb seems like quite the bit of overkill if it is just web browsing. did you account for winxp and any software she might want?

well, not sure about the psu, just saying make sure this particular one has all the appropriet connections, 24 pin atx and so on.

as for 2 optical drives, copying cds from drive to drive on one eide channel is going to be a pain. save the trouble and $ and get one. if she insists, get second.

nicspits said:
well i'd say whatever is cheaper, the 1gb stick of ram or a cheap video card so you don't have to share the ram. 2gb seems like quite the bit of overkill if it is just web browsing. did you account for winxp and any software she might want?

Yeah i know sharing is gona be lame....
But the extra gig will be nice i think.
As my thinking is RAM is going up in price like crazy, not to mention is nice to have fewer large sticks than lots of small ones.
Vista will really like 2GB and DX 10 card for all the features, so when she upgrades to Vista she can grab it then.

mcoleg said:
well, not sure about the psu, just saying make sure this particular one has all the appropriet connections, 24 pin atx and so on.

as for 2 optical drives, copying cds from drive to drive on one eide channel is going to be a pain. save the trouble and $ and get one. if she insists, get second.

ATX 2.0 supports 24pin, aftreall thats the big change from the 1.3 spec and no more 6 pin aux connector that never got used.

And yeah i dont like the fact that Intel 965/975 chipsets are doing away with PATA IDE as good luck getting a a SATA Optical Drive.
Any you know of that are under $100?

Back