gpu water block question

I have a thermaltake bigwater 745 (the one with the 1x120mm and the 1x240mm radiator) and I have it hooked up only to my gpu (I just moved to switzerland and I left the cpu backplate at my old house in Connecticut. if anyone knows a website that sells them cheap that would be great but thats not the main question). As you see in my sig, I have a Sapphire X1300 pro at stock clocks I havent gotten a chance to OC\voltmod it yet. I also bought a thermaltake aquarious gpu water block (http://thermaltake.com/product/Ligui...8/cl-w0038.asp) because my gfx card was feeling left out. the main question/not so much a problem i have is that my gpu is staying ~20 degrees fahrenheit abovie ambient temp. idle. when i used my cpu waterblock my cpu was ~5 degrees F below room temp. I know my radiators are working cause my coolant is getting very cold. I plan on OC/voltmodding this thing alot so I was wondering if this waterblock was good or if I should look for a new waterblock(or possibly a higher flow pump) cost isnt really a problem but anything under $100 is appreciated. thanks
    Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
    Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
    Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
    Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI

Heatware Profile
    Are you sure that your temps are right? With the setup you have described it is impossible to be getting temps below room temp.
    -Main Rig-
    Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6(8*450 1.3V)| Asus Rampage Formula X48 | 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500 | PCP&C S75CF 750W | BFG 8800gt 512mb | 2xBenq FP93GX 19" 2ms
    Swiftech MCP355 w/XSPC top -> 2x'77 Bonneville Heater Core -> Swiftech Apogee GTZ -> Swiftech MCW30 -> ViperJohn ViperFang VI
    -Server-
    Opteron 170 LCB9E @ 3Ghz 1.35v | DFI Ultra-D (Modded to SLI-D) | 4x512 OCZ Platinum rev2 PC3200 | PCP&C S61EPS 610W | EVGA 6600GT 128mb
    Swiftech MCP600 rev. 2 -> Swiftech MCR320 -> Dangeden TDX
    HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by freakdiablo
    I have a thermaltake bigwater 745 (the one with the 1x120mm and the 1x240mm radiator) and I have it hooked up only to my gpu (I just moved to switzerland and I left the cpu backplate at my old house in Connecticut. if anyone knows a website that sells them cheap that would be great but thats not the main question). As you see in my sig, I have a Sapphire X1300 pro at stock clocks I havent gotten a chance to OC\voltmod it yet. I also bought a thermaltake aquarious gpu water block (http://thermaltake.com/product/Ligui...8/cl-w0038.asp) because my gfx card was feeling left out. the main question/not so much a problem i have is that my gpu is staying ~20 degrees fahrenheit abovie ambient temp. idle. when i used my cpu waterblock my cpu was ~5 degrees F below room temp. I know my radiators are working cause my coolant is getting very cold. I plan on OC/voltmodding this thing alot so I was wondering if this waterblock was good or if I should look for a new waterblock(or possibly a higher flow pump) cost isnt really a problem but anything under $100 is appreciated. thanks
    You know your radiators are working because your coolant is getting cold? That doesn't make sense. Radiators are heat exchangers - they remove the heat energy from the water and transfer it to the air. In no way can a traditional radiator result in water temperatures less than ambient, much less CPU temps lower than ambient.

That said, yes, cooling your GPUs with a waterblock is a good idea. However, I would suggest moving away from the Thermaltake products and toward something more versatile and upgradeable. In particular, the small ID of Thermaltake tubing hinders cooling ability, and the Thermaltake radiators are not good at all.
    Not very active these days. PMs are the best way to reach me.

heatware

I had the 745 kit and it was ok at best... did ok with a CPU only but anything beyone that it just wouldn't do with OCing. I could beleive your water temp is a few ° above ambient but not below, thats not possible. Avoid acrylic toped TT blocks, I hear they have cracking problems. I can't view the link above so I have no idea what block you purchased.
    ][mmortal ]-[ero
    Heatware

so far i had no cracking problems due to acrylic. as for tempurature, i dont know. maybe i just read a number wrong. I know gpu waterblocks are a good idea, i just was wondering if that specific one was good or if there was a better one. i only got a thermaltake liquid cooling kit because i wanted liquid cooling but i have no previous liquid cooling experience. someone just told me that this was a good starter kit.
    Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
    Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
    Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
    Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI

I would go with a Swiftech MCW60. They have models with and with out RAM sinks. I have heard too many horror stores of acrylic blocks cracking and spraying entire computers, that's why I moved away from acrylic. You haven't had a problem yet but is it worth the risk?
    ][mmortal ]-[ero
    Heatware

I was just wondering. I may get one, but I had this system for about half a year now and so far there are no signs of strees on the acrylic, but like you said, why risk it? All I have to do know is start looking under seat cushions for change so i can afford a new one. i know its sad, Im 18 and I still dont have a job.

Registered
    Not sure about your x1300 but the aquarius was quite annoying to seat properly on my card since it only had 2 mounting points. I was always worried about putting too much torsional stress on the card too. The swiftech mentioned in immortal_hero's post is much easier to install and get an even, firm contact (4 mounting points) and imo cools much much better.

If you decide to get a new pump the aquarius will restrict flow quite substantially. Imo looks like its been designed for 3/8" tubing but with adaptors that allow the 1/2" tubing of the bigwater.
    Last edited by NxDS; 09-11-06 at 08:17 AM.