• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu water block question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a thermaltake bigwater 745 (the one with the 1x120mm and the 1x240mm radiator) and I have it hooked up only to my gpu (I just moved to switzerland and I left the cpu backplate at my old house in Connecticut. if anyone knows a website that sells them cheap that would be great but thats not the main question). As you see in my sig, I have a Sapphire X1300 pro at stock clocks I havent gotten a chance to OC\voltmod it yet. I also bought a thermaltake aquarious gpu water block (http://thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/Upgrade/cl-w0038/cl-w0038.asp) because my gfx card was feeling left out. the main question/not so much a problem i have is that my gpu is staying ~20 degrees fahrenheit abovie ambient temp. idle. when i used my cpu waterblock my cpu was ~5 degrees F below room temp. I know my radiators are working cause my coolant is getting very cold. I plan on OC/voltmodding this thing alot so I was wondering if this waterblock was good or if I should look for a new waterblock(or possibly a higher flow pump) cost isnt really a problem but anything under $100 is appreciated. thanks

Are you sure that your temps are right? With the setup you have described it is impossible to be getting temps below room temp.

freakdiablo said:
I have a thermaltake bigwater 745 (the one with the 1x120mm and the 1x240mm radiator) and I have it hooked up only to my gpu (I just moved to switzerland and I left the cpu backplate at my old house in Connecticut. if anyone knows a website that sells them cheap that would be great but thats not the main question). As you see in my sig, I have a Sapphire X1300 pro at stock clocks I havent gotten a chance to OC\voltmod it yet. I also bought a thermaltake aquarious gpu water block (http://thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/Upgrade/cl-w0038/cl-w0038.asp) because my gfx card was feeling left out. the main question/not so much a problem i have is that my gpu is staying ~20 degrees fahrenheit abovie ambient temp. idle. when i used my cpu waterblock my cpu was ~5 degrees F below room temp. I know my radiators are working cause my coolant is getting very cold. I plan on OC/voltmodding this thing alot so I was wondering if this waterblock was good or if I should look for a new waterblock(or possibly a higher flow pump) cost isnt really a problem but anything under $100 is appreciated. thanks

You know your radiators are working because your coolant is getting cold? That doesn't make sense. Radiators are heat exchangers - they remove the heat energy from the water and transfer it to the air. In no way can a traditional radiator result in water temperatures less than ambient, much less CPU temps lower than ambient.

That said, yes, cooling your GPUs with a waterblock is a good idea. However, I would suggest moving away from the Thermaltake products and toward something more versatile and upgradeable. In particular, the small ID of Thermaltake tubing hinders cooling ability, and the Thermaltake radiators are not good at all.

I had the 745 kit and it was ok at best... did ok with a CPU only but anything beyone that it just wouldn't do with OCing. I could beleive your water temp is a few ° above ambient but not below, thats not possible. Avoid acrylic toped TT blocks, I hear they have cracking problems. I can't view the link above so I have no idea what block you purchased.

so far i had no cracking problems due to acrylic. as for tempurature, i dont know. maybe i just read a number wrong. I know gpu waterblocks are a good idea, i just was wondering if that specific one was good or if there was a better one. i only got a thermaltake liquid cooling kit because i wanted liquid cooling but i have no previous liquid cooling experience. someone just told me that this was a good starter kit.

I would go with a Swiftech MCW60. They have models with and with out RAM sinks. I have heard too many horror stores of acrylic blocks cracking and spraying entire computers, that's why I moved away from acrylic. You haven't had a problem yet but is it worth the risk?

I was just wondering. I may get one, but I had this system for about half a year now and so far there are no signs of strees on the acrylic, but like you said, why risk it? All I have to do know is start looking under seat cushions for change so i can afford a new one. i know its sad, Im 18 and I still dont have a job.

Not sure about your x1300 but the aquarius was quite annoying to seat properly on my card since it only had 2 mounting points. I was always worried about putting too much torsional stress on the card too. The swiftech mentioned in immortal_hero's post is much easier to install and get an even, firm contact (4 mounting points) and imo cools much much better.

If you decide to get a new pump the aquarius will restrict flow quite substantially. Imo looks like its been designed for 3/8" tubing but with adaptors that allow the 1/2" tubing of the bigwater.

Last edited:
Back