• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer shuts off after two seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

06500r

Going to start by saying i read the FAQs and tried doing the things that they said with no luck.

This is the first computer ive built that has ever given me any problems...all the others were just hook up and go.

Here are the specs:
mobo: ASUS P5LD2
cpu: Pentium D 805 2.66GHz
heatsink: Scythe KATANA 92mm
RAM: 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
cdrom: NEC 16X DVD Burner
sata drives: WD 80GB 7200 RPM x2
vid card: BIOSTAR Geforce 6200 L64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 (cheapo card)
PSU: Rosewill RD500-2-DB ATX V2.2 500W Power Supply

After hooking everything up when I hit the power button all the fans will cut on for a split second then the power will cut off. I unhooked all the extra components and the same thing happens...ive reinstalled the CPU/heatsink sevral times to see if maybe there was a bad connection...ive reset the ram sevral times...I thought maybe i put to much thermal paste on so i took some off, that didnt help. Not sure if it maters but the fans will stay on if i turn it on when there is no CPU installed.

I am sure i left out some details please ask if you need more information.

Thank you

:edit to add that it will not make it to POST

Hmmm......

My psu goes off if there isnt enough stuff plugged into it. Thats a nice PSU, but you could have gotten a faulty one. Wait for another member to come help before doing anything else drastic.

btw... WELCOME !

Have you mounted a CPU before? If you didnt mount it right being on for 2 seconds itll heat up and force a restart if it doesnt have cooling. Faulty PSU is another component of the 2 second restart. Does it post?

1. Pull the ram out and see if the system stays on and beeps angrily at you. Probably it won't, because...

2. Try a different psu. Pull one from a different machine if you have to. The vast vast majority of the time "Stays on for only two seconds or so" problems are a bad psu.

*Note about shorting green to black in psu loom* - this is a good way to see if a psu is potentially good. If you're cleaning out your closet and you find a psu, plug it into the wall and use sharp scissors or a paper clip and short any green wire to any black wire in the loom. If it turns on and stays on, it *might* be good. It does NOT mean it's definitely good, however.

thanks for the replies,

even with the ram out it still wont post.

Going to pull a PSU from another PC and test that...

Ive moutned CPUs before but never one this "new" its possible i messed up with to much thermal paste or something but i really dont think so.

Will let you all know when i get a chance to swap out the PSU

thanks

ok problem solved...i forgot to plug in the CPU power cable...yea yea yea

Thanks for the help guys...i noticed it when i used an old crappy PSU and when i plugged that cable in i said...huuuum...ya know i dont think i remembered this on the good PSU

06500r said:
ok problem solved...i forgot to plug in the CPU power cable...yea yea yea

Thanks for the help guys...i noticed it when i used an old crappy PSU and when i plugged that cable in i said...huuuum...ya know i dont think i remembered this on the good PSU

I think we've all been in similar situations. I know I have, plenty... =D

Back