• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ordered new cpu, but now the questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YOO

so i ordered my first dual core cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz :beer: . upgraded from my a64 3200+ venice anyway my questions are:
do i use the stock heatsink or do i use my Zalman copper sink?
since my current system is single core am i gonna have to download drivers for dual core?

thats all :p.

im pairing this up with an x1900xtx :beer:

You may need to flash to the newest bios for that board if you havent in a while. Most manufactureres added dual core support with bios upgrades.

If you get the heatpipe stock HS, that may work just as well or better than the Zalman. If its not the heatpipe HS then use the Zalman.

The AMD drivers allow Windows to better balance loads between the two cores, but Windows XP will still work with no additional dual-core drivers. You'll be able to boot right up after swapping CPUs, provided your motherboard supports the processor.

YOO said:
so i ordered my first dual core cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz :beer: . upgraded from my a64 3200+ venice anyway my questions are:
do i use the stock heatsink or do i use my Zalman copper sink?
since my current system is single core am i gonna have to download drivers for dual core?

thats all :p.

im pairing this up with an x1900xtx :beer:
Follow the instruction in this thread.

YOO said:
hey thanks, he he call me noob but do i do that before or after i install the new cpu.

i would think after but im not sure im going to go dual core as well very soon hopefully order one this week so this would also help me lol

hey i see that the stock cooler have thermal paster on it. is that paste good or should i replace it with AS5?

YOO said:
umm how do i back up my registry:confused: :confused:

Start>Run>Type "regedit"...once in the Registry Editor hit File>Export and save the copy of the registry to anyplace you like.

EDIT: Yar! Super Nade beat me to it :D

errr. im not happy i think i threw away that plastic base for the hs that comes with the motherboard:( . but the zalman hs is doing a good job idles at 30*c so far. i cant believe how fast this is. cooool. runing spybot and adaware at the same time surfing internet is awesome. load temps at 42*c. all air cooling.

i wonder if i need the the amd drivers and the hotfix stuff.

eh im gonna do them :p if its gonna help the performence.

Back