• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Birthday is in two weeks and well going to conroe. I know little to nothing about these chips other than the own pretty much anything out.

My board cannot have heatpipes due to the mounting in the lian li v1000

So I was looking at either the Asus P5B or the Bad Axe

Using the ram in my sig until X-mas when I get some good TeamGroup Stuff.

What would you guys recommend the E6300 or the E6400.

and which board would you suggest or is there another choice I missed?

i personally say the E6400 since its not that much more and you get the extra higher multi.

on my suggestion list is this (for your no heatpipe requirement)
out now:
gigabyte 965p-S3/DS3
DFI Infininty 975x

not out yet:
Asus P5B-E (has 965 c2 step chipset and even has ich8r)

other then those Dicecca why dont you just get say the P5B-dlx. then remove the heatpipes and replace with sinks?

I would rather have the quiet and after a bad experience with Abit not allowing a RMA Of my AW8D because I had removed the OTES. How they now I don't know but still.

dicecca112 said:
My board cannot have heatpipes due to the mounting in the lian li v1000

Are you sure that an upside down mainboard mount poses problems with the heatpipe coolers on current mainboards? User experience?
I checked the Asus P5B Deluxe Quick Install guide and its manual and there is no mention of this whatsoever.
I know that heatpipe CPU coolers can be oriented in pretty much any way now (but it wasn't like that with earlier designs).

I would much prefer a heatpiped mainboard for the silence and also because these are usually the more feature-rich offerings, so don't exclude the option too quickly...

P5B-E will be on the market soon has no heat pipes, and has the most important extra feature to me :p
btw. I have the lian li v2000b so wether this heat pipe buisness is a real problem I'm all ears.
*correcton on case model*

Last edited:
yes the heatpipes on mobos is a problem in inverted atx cases. the abit AW9D-max will not work inverted this was confirmed by a few people who called and emailed tech support and they said it will not work inverted.

the only thing that bothers me is why people assume that the heatpipe on there mobo has a wick. Im looking at my ab9 pro with a heatpipe and the construction looks like crap. even the heatpipe it self looks really cheap.

*Look at the price of the mobo, look at what you get on the mobo. Do you really expect them to spend more money and risk people not buying there boards cause instead of the mobo being 225-250. It is 300+ just because they put wicks inside the heatpipe.*

*= open thought

with the p5b-dlx, i've heard some people just cut off the heatpipe, and plug up the hole. if you don't mind voiding your warranty right off the bat, this would work.

otherwise, why not just mount an aftermarket northbridge sink?

the p5p-dlx is too good a board to let a stupid pipe get in the way. :)

also, look for Ross' thread on that board. the heatpipe heatsink is just BARELY touching the northbridge, really only touching on one corner, and he still got amazing clocks. who cares if the heatpipe does not work the way it is supposed to when inverted? just getting a proper mount with the thing should be enough to keep your temps within an acceptable range.

Evilsizer said:
the only thing that bothers me is why people assume that the heatpipe on there mobo has a wick. Im looking at my ab9 pro with a heatpipe and the construction looks like crap. even the heatpipe it self looks really cheap.

*Look at the price of the mobo, look at what you get on the mobo. Do you really expect them to spend more money and risk people not buying there boards cause instead of the mobo being 225-250. It is 300+ just because they put wicks inside the heatpipe.*

*= open thought

I'm not sure it so unreasonable. Modern heatpipe-based CPU cooler have wicks, and you can install them in any orientation. Their price has not increased by $50-75, so why should people expect such a premium on a mainboard?

Anyway, thinking about it some more it seems to me that the whole cooling system as used on the P5B Deluxe is a gimmick. I'm sure it provides some cooling, enough to keep things working, but it doesn't look like it anywhere near efficient. Here's some things that got my attention:

- Why are the heatsinks on the south- and northbridge chips covered with a logo plate? This is sure to decrease heat dissipation unless you focus airflow through the tunnel underneath, which would require a focused fan. Even then it would probably work better as an open design.

- Where is the heat from the northbridge (the main source of heat I guess) moved to? It is connected to a thin sink that covers HALF of the mosfets involved in the power delivery on the board. Note how the other mosfets on the other side of the socket are not even sinked.
So if these mosfets don't get very hot, then the little sink on them that the heatpipe is connected to may actually help a little to dissipate the NB heat. But it won't help to keep your mosfets cool in that case! If the mosfets do get hot, then the the heatsink on them is far from the best spot to get rid of extra NB-generated heat! So why design it this way?

- Finally, if simply 'sharing the burden' is the idea here, what benefit does this have other than creating an average heat across multiple chips (raising one temp and reducing the other)?

An effective heatpipe design would connect sinks on the hot chips to an open radiator (perhaps on the back panel, like Abit has done in the past, if I recall correctly), and I would think wicks are required for proper operation.

After looking at the AW9D Max heatpipe design, (yes, I have one in my hot little hands!) I'm going to be running regular heatsinks with fans on them, when I get around to installing my water cooling system, mostly because they do not get any cooling, without the CPU fan. This will run flat or inverted, since the heatpipes will be back in the mobo box.

(Yes, I was the one that Evil referred to, about checking with ABIT.)

steve

skou said:
After looking at the AW9D Max heatpipe design, (yes, I have one in my hot little hands!) I'm going to be running regular heatsinks with fans on them, when I get around to installing my water cooling system, mostly because they do not get any cooling, without the CPU fan. This will run flat or inverted, since the heatpipes will be back in the mobo box.

(Yes, I was the one that Evil referred to, about checking with ABIT.)

steve

In the name of Silence, I was thinking it may be worthwhile to see how it goes with quality sinks (copper aftermarket like the Swiftech MCX159-CU), but without having tiny low-MTBF fans on them. With good sinks and good mounting, a 120mm fan blowing over the board may be sufficient. A fan like that is provided for on the back of a V2000 case, for example.
Maybe that's just me though, I just like the idea of having as few fans as possible. It reduces the noise orchestra and reduces the overall cooling failure rate. And you save some wattage! ;)

Epox4life said:
Replace the NB heatsink and your heatpipe problems are gone.
been there done that, don't want to deal with the RMA hassle if I have to. Hence I said that in the first post. Thanks all to gave me recommendations, I think I'm gonna go with the P5b-e that evil recommended. From XS it looks to be a solid ocer, and the price is right

dicecca112 said:
been there done that, don't want to deal with the RMA hassle if I have to. Hence I said that in the first post. Thanks all to gave me recommendations, I think I'm gonna go with the P5b-e that evil recommended. From XS it looks to be a solid ocer, and the price is right
yep im gonna get me one too. Not real sure what is up with the ab9 pro, so its going to be my first comp for just folding/storage box.

Back