• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMART status on my Seagate 7200.9 and 7200.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I've a 7200.9(around 5 months old) and a 7200.10(around 1-2 months old). After using SpeedFan online SMART check, I found out there are some problems with my 7200.9(ST3300622AS 300GB, 2nd pic). Here is the error :

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (97) is below the normal range (98 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

Does this means my HDD will fail? How about other readings like spin up time and hardware ECC recovered time? Please comment on the values for both the pics below. Thanks.

Attachments

• 250gb.JPG
    250gb.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 300gb.JPG
    300gb.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 125
Yeah, I don't think you have anything to worry about in either case. The drive might be getting older, but it's still passing all of its SMART tests and doesn't show any signs of imminent failure. I think you're all set, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it.

Did you read the message.

This thing says that it didn't run enough hours yet.

Some software has it's head to be checked out...

uOpt said:
Did you read the message.

This thing says that it didn't run enough hours yet.

Some software has it's head to be checked out...
That's an attribute value, not linearly related to the number of hours the drive has been on. A value lower than nominal (98 to 100) means that the drive has been used for an above average number of hours.

What does this mean?

NOTE : your hard disk has 13 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk has 13 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

So is there anysoftware I can use to fix it? Or I have to RMA? Im planning to repartition and format this drive soon.

Software isn't going to fix your number of power on hours, and I don't think anything needs to be fixed. All it's saying is that it's been on longer than an average drive, and that everything else is a-ok. :cool:

Hey thats cool, where can you run those tests? I've never seen that before.

deathman20 said:
Hey thats cool, where can you run those tests? I've never seen that before.

Download speedfan, under HDD SMART status section select the online checkup button.

Back